Changing motors and questions?

usmeagle

Seaman Apprentice
Folks I’m wanting to change motors on my 2008 Triton Cypress Cay 20ft pontoon, I currently have a Honda 40 HP 4 stroke and it runs really well but just not enough power to pull a couple of tubes and such. If I wanted to change motors will all the controls and such have to be changed as well or are most motors and brands interchangeable?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have been studying this same issue and here's what I think I've learned. The steering should change over easily. There are three main challenges. First, the electrical harness from the engine to the boat may not be compatible. At worst you'd need to buy and run a new harness. However the are adapter harnesses that allow you to connect the existing boat harness to a different engine. Second, any engine gauges may or may not be compatible. For example a voltmeter wil likely change over, but a Tach may not. Third, the throttle may work differently (e.g., the distance the cable moves from idle to WOT may be different). One option is to get the throttle that matches your new engine. Another is to get a universal throttle that can be adjusted to work with most engines. .... Keep us posted if you discover anything more in your search.

ahicks

Captain
If you stay Honda, it'll be plug and play.

If you go another brand, you're going to be changing wiring harnesses - unless you are a glutton for punishment. THEN, you'll still need a harness so you can cut the motor end off and match it, one wire at a time, to the existing.

Controls, it depends!
If side mount with just the control lever showing, and many or most binnacle controls, those are "universal" and will likely require you to just get new cables - to match whatever motor you end up with. If your binnacle mount is Honda specific, you'll likely want a new one (unless staying Honda).

If your controls are side mounted with the key built in to it, then you're likely going to a new control as well.

Note that when selling your 40, havig the controls and wiring harness available with it can add some value to the motor (maybe 200 or so)

Motors in the 90hp range would be what I'd be looking at for tubing.

eville

Cadet
I just started a switch from 60 2 stroke merc to 90 4 stroke Honda. I spent about $1100 on cables, harnesses gauges and electronic control panels. I got a great deal on the motor so it still made sense.