Newbie needs information about DarVan pontoons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lone Beagle

Recruit
Hi! New guy and all that.

I have finally gotten to the point I get a pontoon and it has to be a project for a lot of reasons I can go into later.

I have found a 24' DarVan boat on Craigslist that seems to fill the bill. Apparently DarVan has not been around for a while and I haven't really found anything online.I believe they were in Michigan. What I really need to know is the weight capacity before I buy it.

Does anybody know anything about this manufacturer? I have asked the seller for a picture of the data plate. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

John

ahicks

Captain
A lifetime michigan resident that's lived on a lake and owned a pontoon for the last 45 years. Have never heard of a DarVan 'toon.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you can't find the info any other way, perhaps this will help: Calculator. I make no claims as to the validity of this tool.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Dar-Van pontoon out of Alma MI also known as Avalon

Lone Beagle

Recruit
Thanks all, I guessed they had probably been absorbed by another company.
ahicks - when I first googled them this is all I got - Dar-Van Mfg. Co., Mason, MI

Maybe I can get some background from Avalon otherwise it is off to the calculator.

If I get it I will put pictures up

ahicks

Captain
If you could find the diameter of the pontoons, and you don't need anything too exact, comparing it to similar pontoons might be an option as well.

dalef

Recruit
Hi! New guy and all that.

I have finally gotten to the point I get a pontoon and it has to be a project for a lot of reasons I can go into later.

I have found a 24' DarVan boat on Craigslist that seems to fill the bill. Apparently DarVan has not been around for a while and I haven't really found anything online.I believe they were in Michigan. What I really need to know is the weight capacity before I buy it.

Does anybody know anything about this manufacturer? I have asked the seller for a picture of the data plate. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

John

I see this post is a few years old but I wanted to reply. I worked at Dar-Van in Mason when I was 16. I TIG welded the railings for the boats for a few months. I also worked there another time after that. I have heard them associated with Alma and am guessing the company was sold and moved. They called their brand Playbouy when I was there. I remember the owner giving me a pep talk on doing quality, attractive welds.

Status
Not open for further replies.