Color match my engine

usmeagle

Seaman Apprentice
As you can see the cap on my Honda engine has faded somewhat as it’s plastic, how can I find the original color to match?
thanks

Attachments

• AFFF417B-802D-4344-A438-7A46B1057090.jpeg
    AFFF417B-802D-4344-A438-7A46B1057090.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

ahicks

Captain
I don't think I've ever seen a white Honda that size. I HAVE seen a bunch of those handles cracked, and/or faded like that one though! Many of them get painted a semi gloss black.

If you want to try and match it, don't waste your money on Honda Touch up paint. It's WAY off color. I've had much better luck with a couple of DupliColor paints available at many discount auto supplies. Still may not be exact, but in my experience they're a lot closer than the Honda paint. Shake the hell out of the cans to get the metallic chips mixed right - like 5 minutes at least! -Al

Dupli-color- Fine Silver Birch Mteallic ( 59 WA926L )

Dupli-Color- Metallic Pewter Spray Paint Part #:BGM0490 (this is for the '03 Chev S-10 if I remember right)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You could always take the cowling into most any auto-body paint store and have them mix up the EXACT match to the cowl. And you can buy a mere 1/2 pint size can and use a simple airbrush, even a cheap one, and spray that back to like new. Been there done that many times... JMHO

ahicks

Captain
I've tried that a couple of different times for other things, and in MY experience, they didn't want to mess with the hassle or time spent matching in order to sell a 1/2 pint can of paint - or even a couple of quarts that might have been over 100. total. If it were a CAR, where they can get close with a model year and paint number to get them close, that might be different.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've tried that a couple of different times for other things, and in MY experience, they didn't want to mess with the hassle or time spent matching in order to sell a 1/2 pint can of paint - or even a couple of quarts that might have been over 100. total. If it were a CAR, where they can get close with a model year and paint number to get them close, that might be different.

I guess I have a different auto-paint store around where I live. They bend over backwards to help me with everything. Heck I even has one women that couldn't find anything close for one paint option, so she color match it my eye and hit it perfectly. They even told me that if I needed them to get something on Saturday (they are closed on Saturdays), to call them and they would bring whatever I needed to my house. Can't beat that for customer service. Very nice people here!

ahicks

Captain
I could only wish for service like that....

Our local paint dealers pretty much cater to a limited crowd of commercial shops and a few select individuals I think.

THEY may get the benefit of service like that. I wanted enough to paint the bottom half of a 38' motor home, and they didn't even want to talk with me, let alone match a color using their computer equipment.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sorry to hear that. I guess it depends where you live and who runs the store. I have bought a lot of paint supplies over the years, but nothing compared to an actual auto-body shop. But they give me the best service I could ever ask for...and that started way before I bought anything from them.