If you try the Hydrofin on your boat, please post a review

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just saw an ad video for a new "sounds too good" product to improve the speed and efficiency of pontoon boats. It's a hydrofoil system that mounts between two logs and is called Hydrofin. It appears the product is brand new to the market. I'd like to see a review whenever someone here gives it a try.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have seen that also. I was curious so i contacted them through YouTube. I wanted to know if the strakes on the insides of my pontoons would get in the way and they said they would need to cut out sections of them to place the pads. They looked like they will work good on a lake but on a river with debris it looks like a disaster waiting to happen. They also said the pontoon will need to go at least 18-20 mph for it to get up on the hydrofoil. And was 2 grand installed. They will come to you and install them because they want before and after information. Glue or weld on.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
They don't even have a picture of a prototype installation. No pricing and only pre-orders. Selling air.

alldodge

Staff member
Watched the vid and would be interested if it actually worked, but right now I call it BS

They show a 24 maybe 28 foot pontoon with two people. Says it reduces the weight, really??, how can weight be reduced?

Get a full loaded pontoon and see if you get 8 inches of lift. If you get some lift on the stern then the prop already has issues getting it to bite and hold.

Takes HP to lift a boat

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The main reason I posted here is because there seem to be few facts about this "product". The testimonials appear to be from people involved with the business, and I'm too old to fall for the "up to 40%" claims. If a real person, unaffiliated with the company came forth and said, "... top speed in my 24' 115 HP boat with just me was 24 before and after is 30," I'd give that some weight. But soft claims by biased parties don't do it for me. I'm hoping some frustrated pontoon owner with money to burn will be the beta tester for this thing and tell the rest of us how it went.

I also agree with the earlier comment regarding lifting the boat enough to cause ventilation problems. I can see where that might well be an issue that would have to be addressed.

P.S.
The ad did give me one idea to ponder. I wonder if I could add strakes to my pontoon using industrial adhesives rather than welding.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
200.gif

StarCraft 21cr

Recruit
I just saw an ad video for a new "sounds too good" product to improve the speed and efficiency of pontoon boats. It's a hydrofoil system that mounts between two logs and is called Hydrofin. It appears the product is brand new to the market. I'd like to see a review whenever someone here gives it a try.
I live in PA and have a StarCraft 21' CR with a 2015 90 hp Evinrude Etec. I had, just a few weeks ago, Jason Minor come and install a Hydrofin System on my boat. I got to test drive it this weekend. Prior to installation I got 22-23 mph and only up to 5000 RPMs with a regular 15 pitch Evinrude prop, two people in the boat, bimini top down. The Hydrofins are installed; the main set just forward of balance center of boat and two smaller fins on the inside rear of the toons. I had strakes installed at factory when boat purchased inside and out. The inside ones had to be removed from the front mount of the fins back to rear, outside strakes remain in place. Now for the performance part with 2 adults, top down, top mph went from the 22-23 to 31.5 measured by cell phone GPS speed app, RPMs went from 5000 to 5350 at full throttle. There is not much more than a ripple for a wake behind the boat, lake was not very rough from boats but was quite windy, full speed and cruising speed around 20 mph, the boat road smoother, my brother who also owns a 22ft pontoon agreed ride was smoother. Front does not ride real high in the water, feels like it riding more level then it ever did. The prop will slip if trimmed out too far, but then it did at about the same trim out before. I don't know about the fuel economy improvements, especially with the higher rpm gain, but I do know that my cruising speed rpms around 20 mph were lower and the boat was higher in the water so less drag/ lower rpms would equate to improved fuel economy.
Sorry doubting Thomas's, it made dramatic improvements on my boat, and for far less then buying a larger hp, heavier engine and higher insurance rates.
Also, No I do not work for Jason Minor and Hydrofin Inc, if I'm bias it's because Hydrofins work for me.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Put a few more hours on the water with differing conditions and passenger load.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
no doubt it will improve performance.. that said. $2k plus install, which will no doubt void my lifetime warranty from deck down.. this is a no go for me.. happy enough with 30mph i get out of my 20ft toon with 115

Status
Not open for further replies.