Toon Tube damage repair

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Was bound to happen eventually....... got a couple of scratches/gouges in tube...... what''s process or products would you recommend to repair em..? sand em.. and use what? thanks in advance..

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
While doing a car restoration some years ago I learned something about scratched metal that should have been obvious to me but wasn't. You can't smooth out scratched or gouged metal by sanding and polishing unless you remove a large amount of metal in the vacinity of the scratch. If you polish a gouge, you end up with a polished gouge. The best solution is to fill the gouge to a level slightly higher than the surrounding metal, and then sand it down to the same height before polishing. On metal that means filling the missing metal with welding or something similar. ... If, instead, you remove enough metal to blend the gouge so it is not as obvious, you may remove enough metal to weaken that entire area of the log.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
was going to sand it a bit and apply JB Weld, smooth it out and sand... web seems to indicate that as solution

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Will the color of the JB Weld look right or does it matter?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
doesnt matter to me.... at or under waterline anyway.. if it helps, i see it as a benefit