Playcraft pontoon restoration

Trowland91

Cadet
Hey all! My dad just gave me a playcraft 30 ft 2 story pontoon boat. I would love to completely restore it and get it back on the water! Tubes are good but everything else is shot. Any advice on where to start? Is this even possible with the given condition.

Attachments

• photo334770.jpg
    photo334770.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo334771.jpg
    photo334771.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo334772.jpg
    photo334772.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo334773.jpg
    photo334773.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo334774.jpg
    photo334774.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 2

chrismarion

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes! You got a great platform. I am going to be honest with you and I literally just finished my custom restore for my 1983 Playbuoy Admiral 24. It will take you some time, but just do it right the first time. If you can afford it, beef up the frame of the pontoon before you install a new deck. Either buy some Z brackets or you do like I did, score a free POS pontoon boat. That is what prompted me to make a tritoon. I also used 90% of the Z brackets off the free pontoon and added them onto my pontoon frame. The added rigidity and strength is awesome. Especially under where you have the second level. If you ever plan to add a bit more power, the additional support braces will be huge in the back. Sell off or scrape the remaining aluminum pieces you don't need to go towards you project. I combined both of the 16' pontoons into one center pontoon with motor pod, like the new tritoons. My brother in law did all the tig welding and custom work on that end. I can't tig weld.

You will need to either locally source 3/4" CCA treated, marine grade plywood. Do not buy kiln dried or regular marine plywood. You are not using resin, so the bare wood will absorb water and rot like regular outdoor ply. Basic marine grade plywood has no voids and water proof glue. CCA treated ply will help longevity from constant water exposure and is a chemical preservative. I used six sheets, but you may need eight by looking at your pictures. Buy with deck screws, forget the bolts because you will hate life trying to install them and really hate yourself when it comes time to remove. Pontoonstuff has a complete decking kit you can buy. I bought the 28oz luxury carpet kit, and local lumber yard had the same plywood for a tad less because of shipping. The type of floor you go with is up to you though. Go to the local boat show and check out the pontoons. You will get a ton of ideas for you build. You are starting from scratch. But this is where I made the choice of carpet over vinyl. The vinyl was great, but Florida sun and heat sucks. The salesman said the only con was the heat absorbed by the vinyl in the sun and can get really hot without constant water on it. He said pontoon boats shouldn't require shoes or flip flops to have fun. I agreed and went with carpet. I have young girls.

Yank off your fencing and save it. You can remove the vinyl sticker striping and either paint it or cover with a roll of vinyl wrap. If you decide to paint, do NOT use Rustoleum professional paint. Even with a great etching primer and adhesion promoter it's not durable. I did mine in gloss white and wish I wouldn't have, but I wanted to try. Surprisingly, a single stage automotive paint that I sprayed my father in law's pontoon fence with looks great from 2008.

For seating, you can go all out and buy brand new furniture OR you can go simple like I did. My brother in-law made me tig welded seat frames out of one inch aluminum square tubing. 20" deep by 50" long and 12" high. Simple teal and white cushions made with 3/4" outdoor play sealed with deck waterproofer and matching back bolsters. I was surprised that my wife like the look of the frames being open, with no covers to make it look like a box. It looks great and easily accessible to whatever you stuff underneath. As well as, dries quickly. Honestly, furniture will be the biggest expense. Just remember that your beast is not so easily kept out of the sun and weather. Unless you got a huge pole barn or enclosure. So your expensive seats will go to crap quickly.

I literally have the same Force 125. Kind of comical. I can tell you this motor has now been on three boats. First was a 1989 bass boat, then my tri hull and now this custom tritoon. She's thirsty, but she runs. I would replace the water pump impeller and housing, four NGK plugs, newer motorola (blue) ignition, fuel pump and screen, and clean the carbs with Berryman's B12 Chemtool spray. The carb kits are not cheap for this engine. Drop the bowls and clean it out really good. Buy a water pressure gauge install kit from the auto store (Bosch Gauges Nylon Tubing Kit). You don't need a gauge. At the top rear of your outboard is the thermostat, get a new one. But, look behind the cover on top and you should see a bolt. You can remove that bolt and install the water pressure compression fitting and hose there with some teflon tape. I then ran my white plastic hose down the starboard side of the block and drilled a hole in the lower cover shooting out the corner. I slid a rubber vacuum line over it and RTV siliconed the vacuum line into the drilled hole. Now you have a "tell tale" water spout like newer models. I bought a 50 gallon plastic drum and use that for my outboard water tanks at home. Hardware store has the plastic hose spigots, so you can drill a hole near the bottom of the barrel when you are done and drain the water out. Those water earmuffs are crap. Once you got her running, id run the first tank with some Seafoam cleaner in with the fuel/oil mix. Oh, change out the lower unit oil.

All in all, I think you will truly enjoy this pontoon! I can tell you it would get snatched up here in Florida. Other than getting that trailer road worthy, below is your second biggest expense. Primary is your choice for furniture/seating. The rest is cosmetic. I did see a pretty cool idea on Facebook Marketplace. This couple took standard plastic pontoon furniture bases, cleaned them and painted them white with epoxy paint for plastic. They then put on wood slats, like a wooden glider swing, and waterproofed them. You can sit on it like a swing or put outdoor pool deck furniture cushions over the slats. I would do that if I could find plastic bases locally.

Pricing examples:
PontoonStuff
Complete decking kit for 28ft pontoon = $1,384.65
(3/4" CCA treated marine ply is $105/ea)

iBoats
Sierra 18-3251 Water Pump Impeller Kit = $48
Thermostat Gasket = $9
Thermostat = $30
NGK BUHX Spark Plug = $11/ea

Last edited:

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I view a pontoon boat as a big floating floor that you can arrange any way you like. I'd take everything off down to the deck, check out and repair the structure as needed, and put whatever I wanted back on top. It'll take time and money. You'd be wise to write out a plan for the finished boat with as complete a parts list as you can imagine (e.g., stainless steel fasteners, adhesives, wiring, motor repair, etc.). Price out the project and compare that with what you could get in a ready-to-go used boat of the same price. Depending on how much free time, space, tools and skill you have, you might want to just get another boat.

I've not operated a boat that size but I imagine it is only good for cruising and swimming. I can't imagine an exciting tube ride behind it. I mention this so you'll have a better idea of what you can do with the finished boat should you restore it. Good luck.

ahicks

Captain
Agree with the others. That's a great set of bones there. I found an angle grinder SUPER handy for cutting bolts that wouldn't budge or had rounded off heads. THEN, I learned they cut aluminum like butter. VERY handy to have one available for a project like this. It'll pay for itself easily.

DON'T try to skimp on the price of materials, and I would not paint anything wood. It's not necessary.

DON'T build an overweight tank! Keep anything you do as light as possible.

DO keep us posted on your progress. If you run into trouble, post your issue here. Several of us have been through this kind of project successfully.

chrismarion

Petty Officer 2nd Class
HotTommy makes another valid point. Remember this pontoon boat layout is a party barge or party boat. If you’re wanting a more ski or towable pontoon, this isn’t it. Personally, I’d rather have this.

Trowland91

Cadet
Thank you so much for the detaied replies! I’m excited to start this build! I want to turn it into the ultimate party boat. When redoing the flooring should I strip it down completely including the 2nd story? How would I create another story if I chose to redo it?

ahicks

Captain
My plan would be to not reinvent the wheel.

Start at the top and work your way down the way it was built originally. Pay attention to how it was built originally! What size fasteners were used, and where they are placed. Try to disassemble in a manner that preserves the original parts. No blind rip tearing. If it's taken apart carefully, you'll have templates for making all your new parts. Don't throw anything away (yet) unless it just crumbles in your hand.

If you get into something complicated (the wiring for instance), take detailed pictures that will allow you to reassemble months down the road!

KEEP IT LIGHT! Don't "over build"!

chrismarion

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Take lots of pictures of it now! How it is put together from different angles and when you are taking it apart. Also, I would highly suggest gallon and sandwich size ziploc baggies for specific bolts/nuts/hardware/brackets and write on them with a sharpie. You will thank me later. When you say "build another story", I assume you mean platform. The way it was built is for it's current intentions back in it's day. If you plan on adding something to the top, I would first address making the bottom structurally stronger. Once you strip it down, you will see what I mean in regards to the Z brackets or maybe you have hat brackets. Below are pictures of what I am referring to. These connect your toons together like a rib cage. If you come across a deal for another pontoon boat, you can always turn yours into a tritoon party barge. Considering a single new pontoon is about $1000, that gives you an idea what someone's junk pontoon can get you in additional aluminum parts and combine both toons.

Hat style (upside U)
108x84boatcloseup1.jpg

Here is an older pontoon with what the bracket structure looked like. My 83 Playbuoy looked just like this. As did the 90 Fiesta 18 I tore apart as the donor toon. With the Fiesta 18 brackets, I increased the strength once screwed to the 3/4" ply. I took it out yesterday in Tampa Bay with 10-12 mph winds along the coast. Had some good sized rollers and she was like a freaking solid barge man. No flex. My mother's husband couldn't believe how she handled. Other than the wind pushing us across the water, flotation and wave handling was great. No flex felt anywhere.

2-FOUNDATION---deck-supports_7556_2018-01-26_15-25.jpg

Here is a newer toon with additional cross bracing for strength. As compared to the older pontoons, like you have. These aluminum braces are not going to add substantial weight, but they WILL make it stronger. I promise.

Manitou_Frame.png