Pontoon swimdeck

athelu

Recruit
My 24' pontoon has a 3-4' wide area beyond the front rail setup like a swim platform. The floor in this area is done with a vinyl (honestly looks like a kitchen floor) and the rest of the boat has carpeting. This area also has a short maybe 6-8" rail around it. I am wanting to redo this area. I know the deck under the vinyl is plywood, and still seems to be in pretty good shape.

I was thinking of removing short railing entirely from this front area and putting down some other waterproof surface. I am not ready to re-surface the entire boat, just want to repair/improve this area. So -- couple of questions:

Is there a reason i should NOT remove the short railing on this front area? (my lights are mounted under the deck)

Should i look at replacing the plywood in this area with some more conducive to a swim area?

If i keep the plywood, what would be the best swim area flooring option?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My previous pontton boat had a deck area forward of the fence like you describe. I found the short railing to be a nuisance that kept people from sitting on the deck (while stopped) where they wanted. If you don't use it in place of a cleat, I see not much use for it. ... My deck area was covered with the same carpet as the rest of the boat. I don't think it got any wetter than the rest of the floor and it held up as well as the rest. ... If the current plywood has no soft spots, I'd leave it as is.

athelu

Recruit
If the current plywood has no soft spots, I'd leave it as is.
The plywood seems in good shape, but the linoleum is cracked and peeling. I am looking to replace that floor covering, and think i will take the rails out too while i am at it. I realize now that i do have cleats on the corners, so may need to leave the front corners on to keep people from stubbing a toe or something.

chrismarion

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I still have my corner L railings, but they are about three inches off the deck. I have my cleats and navigation lights under it. I too haven't decided if I will keep them on. My entire deck is carpet from Pontoonstuff, the luxury one. I wanted the vinyl, until a dealer at the boat show told me vinyl was great until Florida summer heat/sun hits. I took his word for it as he said he hates doing pontoon deliveries to customers in the summer and the final water walk through. Burns his feet. I agree with HotTommy, the entire carpet gets soaked...but...the cool water feels great. I wash it with a Tide Pod and Snuggle mixed in the water, scrub brush and let it soak. Then spray it with a spray hose. Stays soft and smells good.

One option you have is to replace that linoleum with Seadek. Just an FYI, every year at Black Friday their DIY rolls are 50% off. It's under "Shop - Sheet Material". Brushed and embossed. Laser etched isn't part of the sale. You could keep your carpet and have an aluminum "carpet to seadek" transition strip so neither will pull up. I cannot say for certain how well the 3M adhesive will stick to your current plywood. But you can always ask them if you should add glue or just sand your plywood first. To be honest with you, I may go the Seadek route whenever its time to replace this carpet. I have it in my boat and love it!