Starting research for my first tritoon

Flysooner9

Seaman Apprentice
Looking at getting a tri toon in early 2021. Been reading some articles and looked a few at a show earlier this year. So far I really like the sun catcher elite boats. Specifically with the stern lounger set up.

was told by several people to avoid the regency boats and mercury motors if I can help it. What’s the general consensus on G3 boats vs other manufacturers?

want something with at least a 250 on the back. Are boats shoes generally the best deals out there for new?

Rich1950

Cadet
If I may, allow me to tell you my first pontoon buying experience.
We did our research like everyone, went to boat shows and burned up the internet.

It came down...for us....to purchase some model of Crest. We liked the Crest brand because basically they were very solidly built. Should last longer than the average pontoon boat, but because of its robustness, it would be slower on the water. For me not a problem. I still do not understand the speed freak syndrome when it comes to pontoon boats.

If you pick a specific brand you then have to ask yourself, who sells that brand within driving distance of where you live? Now remember, for some people who are very fortunate to live on a lake and have a dealer come pick up the boat for service or winter storage, they are truly lucky. I have no house by a lake...have to drive a minimum of 1 3/4 hours to the closest lake....launch and recover every time out....and drive back home.

We found something MORE important than the boat model was the dealer. Our dealer turned out to be less than honest, a bait switcher and I would not recommend him to my worst enemy. Therefore, I certainly don't take the boat to them.....by the way 3 hour drive one way....for anything. FIND AN HONEST DEALER !!!!

You will find that not all dealers can service all motors. Where I live there is no authorized Suzuki mechanic. There is a mech that work on a Suzi but I don't believe he is certified. For that, a 4 hour drive one way. I find that when I call other Crest dealers they are all nice on the phone until they discover I have purchased elsewhere and just need help. I never get a call back with an answer to my question.

Look very carefully where you live, who near you sells pontoon boats and what kind of reputation do they have. Call them anonymously with a question telling them you didn't buy from them and test how they react.

As for Merc motors.....lots out there....lots of support out there. I have a 22 foot tritoon with a Suzuki DF 150. At around 5500 to 6000 rpm I can hit a little over 40 mph. Do I run it at that??? Heck no. The only time I go fast is if a storm sneaks up and I need to get back to the dock asap. I normally run from point A to point B at 20 to 22 mph and that is plenty not to mention it conserves gas....which aint cheap!

Wish you the best of luck. One thing we wish we had done diff on our boat. It had full wrap around lounge seating along the edges with 2 Capts chairs. That left NO WHERE for coolers yada yada. Think about what YOU are going to do 85% of the time.

Will keep watching this to see how it goes.

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think Rich made the best point FIND A DEALER YOU CAN TRUST. As for brand i don't think it matters as much being that i think all of them have a lifetime warranty on the structure. I have a merc on my toon and have had no issues so far but only have 60 hours on it. Not trying to steer you to a brand as i have hear Suzuki are really good but i also do think the new generation of mercury outboard's have a lot to offer as far as reliability goes due to their wet sump for lubrication.

Flysooner9

Seaman Apprentice
Not really a speed demon but my family including myself enjoy water sports so want something that can easily and comfortably pull a skier, tube, etc even with a pretty full load.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
my 2 c. last spring, bought a new 2019- Starcraft 20ft toon, put a new Mercury 115 4 stroke on the back, sits on tandem galvanized Shorelandr... bought it from local dealer... as others have said...any company worth it's salt will give you a good warranty.. the Starcraft is lifetime from deck- below. 6 years deck up... had a ski tow tower installed from factory over the motor... goes faster than I need it to.... wanted plenty of power for ski or tube.. it's incredibly fuel efficient too... enjoy. buy from your local dealer, if you need something done, they can do it... or you tow if far away, or you end up doing it yourself

ahicks

Captain
If I were going to buy a new toon, there would be 2 requirements - no exceptions. First is it would have a 4 stroke motor. 2nd would be lfting strakes to help get it up out of the water. Super important if you plan on pulling anything, or if speed is of any relevance.

d_2

Recruit
AMEN to the posters above about finding an honest, and local, dealer that handles both your boat and your motor selection.

Flysooner9

Seaman Apprentice
How about Veranda? Read someone ranting about their experience with them but didn’t know if that was the norm.

Gemstone1

Cadet
"I still do not understand the speed freak syndrome when it comes to pontoon boats."...some of us like to ski, but did not want to compromise loss of space for a ski boat. The only issue I've found skiing behind a pontoon is the width and turbulence of the wake....we use a 100' ski rope to get behind the turbulence.

Regards
Gemstone1