putting gas in your pontoon?

usmeagle

Seaman Apprentice
Folks, is there a better way of putting gasoline in your boat other than using gas jugs, i live on a lake that doesnt have pumps so in order to gas it up i have to buy gas in jugs or pull the boat out of the lake. witth the gas jugs its hard to do and not spill any. Here is how my boat is made right now, any recommendations would be great.
Thanks

Attachments

• photo331389.jpg
    photo331389.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 4

matt167

Captain
fuel transfer tank in the bed of your truck if you can get your truck close to the boat in the water, or a gas caddy

ahicks

Captain
Like you, I live on a lake. That fill is just like many of the very poorly thought out rigs I've been forced to deal with over the years.

First, I went 4 stroke. They are incredibly economical so you don't need to fill as often.....
Second, I place the 6 gal. jug on a seat back over the fill and siphon the fuel into the tank. 1/2" hose that's pretty flexible is immersed in the jug, finger placed over the end of the line, pull line out to fuel fill, and 90% of the time the siphon will start on the first try.

harringtondav

Commander
The caddy is nice, but I have to walk down 15 steps to get to my boat, so it's jugs for me. New EPA spill proof jugs are worthless and spill more fuel that the old style. I have a good 'ol jug, and converted a new one to a vented open spout. Only occasional leakage is around the spout cap seal.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Other flolks have covered most all of the gas cans except the simple, big hose on top racing fuel containers that have no safety features. But they can move gas quickly if the opening can handle it. .... One thing I'd want for sure is a platform (temprary or permanent) where I could rest the fuel container while I added gas to the boat. I can't see me pumping the manual handle for very long. I'd want gravity to do the work. At my age I might even want some steps to make it easier to safely get the fuel container to the top.

P.S. A funnel like this might help too.

Last edited:

BOWTECH.JUSTICE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As sangerwaker said, I use those shaker siphon hoses for everything with the 5 gallon racing fuel containers. You can actually get almost 6 gallon in them. I got tired of polluting the lake and with the siphon hose I don't spill a drop.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Cans are a pain to use. I would pull my boat out if I had a fuel opening that was a pain to get to. If it's on the side and you dock you can just stand beside it. Mine is in the back. I can lift the sundeck up and stand on the deck in front of the motor or kneel on the rear seat and fill the boat. I pull my hair out every time I use it though so I either go to the pump or if I get it at a cheaper place I just buy gas in cans and I put it in the boat at the house to save money.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a system where I lift up the sun deck, bungee cord a funnel to the rail, and pour using a 6 gallon can. Works well but I'm thinking about getting one of those gas caddys. My neighbor has one.