Two transducers.....problem??

Rich1950

Cadet
Right now I am running a Helix 5 Sonar GPS CHIRP off my starboard pontoon mounted in the back.

I would like to mount an older model Helix 5 Sonar GPS (but not CHIRP) off my port pontoon also mounted in the back.
That would put the two transducers between 7 and 8 feet apart.

Does anyone know that if I ran them BOTH at the same time would I encounter any kind of signal interference and perhaps get an bad reading in something like the depth?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Right now I am running a Helix 5 Sonar GPS CHIRP off my starboard pontoon mounted in the back.

I would like to mount an older model Helix 5 Sonar GPS (but not CHIRP) off my port pontoon also mounted in the back.
That would put the two transducers between 7 and 8 feet apart.

Does anyone know that if I ran them BOTH at the same time would I encounter any kind of signal interference and perhaps get an bad reading in something like the depth?
Make and model number of the two transducers?

Max water deep you want to read?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
dont install one under the ladder....... the ladder might not hit it.. but a foot missing a ladder rung has snapped off many..

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guess i should have read more into this. Over the winter i installed garmin transducer on my port side, i also had a faria transducer already installed on the starboard side. Hope they work when i get around in launching my pontoon

Rich1950

Cadet
The boat already came with the Chirp transducer mounted under the ladder. I plan to put the other trans unit obviously on the port side.
I did send a msg to Humminbird and they answered. Their suggestion was like many I have received which was to make sure both units are not running on the same freq and all should be good.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have received which was to make sure both units are not running on the same freq and all should be good.
May be easier said than done.

By definition, CHIRP uses a range of frequencies so you need to make sure they don’t over lap.

I run mid-band at 80-160 kHz. High band is 150-250 kHz. The two will not play well together.

If they list the frequencies as single frequencies ie. 80/200 the unit(s) are not CHIRP. You will not have issues running one at 200 kHz and the other at 80 kHz other than than resolution at 80 kHz in shallow water is pretty bad