Boat Cover ????

Having a new cover made
I have a choice of Sunbrella or Aqualon. I was told that Sunbrella is used on 90% of the covers they make. Also told that Sunbrella is not waterproof. I was told that Sunbrella can be re-sprayed with water replant, and that Aqualon can not. Also told that snow would slide off of Aqualon better than Sunbrella. Obviously, my boat will be stored outside. What material should I use ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

Sunbrella needs to be re-rain-proofed every year. I did it every 6 months here in florida. takes about 5 minutes to spray water-proofing.

I would use Sunbrella

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I make my own boat covers and only use Sunbrella. Make sure your canvas maker uses a PTFE thread instead of polyester. Sunbrella will outlast polyester thread.

Sunbrella is a breathable fabric so that the boat won't develop mold as easy under the cover. I never bother treating my covers.

Here is the pontoon cover I made:

IMG_1492.jpg

ahicks

Captain
And I would not expect a good cover to do real well under a lot of snow. Occasional light snow maybe, but nothing like what you might find in Michigan for instance. Skillful install of shrink wrap a MUCH better plan.

Thanks everyone. Lots to think about including shrink wrap for the winter. In any event, I will need a cover. Yes, new to boating and very excited about it. Unfortunately, boat will be stored outside, so I am looking for the best outside option. Purchased a 2008 Premier with a 150 Yamaha. Boat and motor in very nice shape. any other thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks Again

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
My 34 footer has custom fitted Sunbrella covers (bridge and cockpit) that have survived 14 years outside and counting. I’ve had to re-apply waterproofing twice, both times after cleaning.
if the cover is fitted properly it will be fine even in deep snow. Just make sure you clear It before temps go up and it gets heavy!

Last edited:
Took the boat in yesterday. Decided to go with Sunbrella. Cover maker also suggests using socks instead of vents to hold the poles. They say vents create a weak spot and vents are not needed with Sunbrella. Any thoughts ?

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had custom seat and helm covers made with Sunbrella fabric. Since I take my boat out during the winter it's much easier for me to take off the helm and seat covers than a whole boat cover.

Cover question # 2

Took the boat in yesterday. Decided to go with Sunbrella. Cover maker suggests using socks instead of vents to hold the poles. They say vents create a weak spot and vents are not needed with Sunbrella. Any thoughts ?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Please don't start another thread when you asked the same question in this thread about socks vs vents.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Took the boat in yesterday. Decided to go with Sunbrella. Cover maker suggests using socks instead of vents to hold the poles. They say vents create a weak spot and vents are not needed with Sunbrella. Any thoughts ?

My covers simply have a snap installed at the high point that the pole attaches to below. Works perfectly and has never fallen down.