Pontoon Tube Reconditioning Ideas Needed

ahicks

Captain
You might consider trailering the next one, so it's not sitting there corroding when you aren't actually using it. A fiberglass deck boat may be an option as well. Downside there is there's very likely going to be much more maintenance required with something like that.

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, done with that phase of boat ownership, and, yes, I felt the tubes were beyond repair.

We're somewhat confused because we see so many pontoons around here (Lemon Bay, FL), and it seems so likely that the toons leak. My wife wants another one (go figure). But, the voice of reason tells me not to go there again. If we buy a used one, in our price range, we won't know how much corrosion is already going on inside.

We have a fiberglass deck boat up north, and there are a lot of them here, but I'm opting for something with a shallow(er) draft because our canals get shallow at low tide, and, of course, all those flats.

Skiffs . . . but need more seating.

How about a small bass boat, like we have up north? There are a lot of them down here, too.

All we do is going putting around the canals, and creek, and across Lemon Bay to the dolphin wall, and Ski Alley, and Stump Pass, like 100 other boats do on a nice day.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Well, if you're in the ICW, in a teeny tiny boat, it does.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Well, if you're in the ICW, in a teeny tiny boat, it does.

then stay out of the channels on the ICW, or roll on the throttle and get up on plane like all the other boats to keep what is behind you....... behind you (the whole meaning behind Enzo Ferrari's quote). many 40-60 foot boats rolling down the ICW here at 20+ knots and tossing a large wake, so be prepared to be moving.

Been on 'toons down here, they submarine easy when encountering waves or wakes, for that reason alone, I wouldnt own one in Florida and use it on the ICW.

plenty of fresh water 'toons for sale in inland florida if you have your heart set on a 'toon. just pressure check periodically and inspect the welds at the M-brackets. take the 'toon out of the water and rinse it and it can last. leave bare aluminum in salt water and you get corrosion.

remember, any boat $5k and below should be considered a project

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
then stay out of the channels on the ICW, or roll on the throttle and get up on plane like all the other boats to keep what is behind you....... behind you (the whole meaning behind Enzo Ferrari's quote). many 40-60 foot boats rolling down the ICW here at 20+ knots and tossing a large wake, so be prepared to be moving.

Been on 'toons down here, they submarine easy when encountering waves or wakes, for that reason alone, I wouldnt own one in Florida and use it on the ICW.

plenty of fresh water 'toons for sale in inland florida if you have your heart set on a 'toon. just pressure check periodically and inspect the welds at the M-brackets. take the 'toon out of the water and rinse it and it can last. leave bare aluminum in salt water and you get corrosion.

remember, any boat $5k and below should be considered a project

We've experienced all of that.

Our ICW run is less than a mile, just to cross it to get to Chadwick Cove, and Ski Alley, and yeah, if something's coming, we get on it. We've only been caught a few times, and our old dog would get a faceful of salt water.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...1!4d-82.396813

I guess we could trailer a small, freshwater pontoon, but it's a shame to be on a convenient canal and have to do that. It's so nice to just go out back and spend an hour on the water.

attachment.php

Last edited:

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I assume a boat lift to keep it out of the water between uses is not feasible?

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Life expectancy (design life) for a fiberglass boat is 15 years. Beyond that, assume its a project

Ouch, that's not good news for our '98 deckboat up north.

But . . .

Fiberglass boats can be operated for up to fifty years or more. Fiberglass is very durable and with proper maintenance and care, fiberglass boats can last for many decades.

Fiberglass itself will not break down but instead will break down due to outside factors.

Some factors that will affect break down are:

• Exposure to UV rays
  • Fatigue from movement
  • Water saturation
  • Salt from seawater.
https://www.godownsize.com/fiberglass-boats-durability/

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
remember, service life and design life are two different things. with anal-retentive maintenance, you can make boats last 4 or 5 decades.

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like the rental option might be the way to go for you. At least on a temporary basis until you find something else.

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like the rental option might be the way to go for you. At least on a temporary basis until you find something else.

I'm taking a pontoon out for 4 hours for $130, and they are agreeable to letting us have it for less time for less money. I'm guessing $75 for two hours.

It is a 10-minute boat ride to where we like to go, so that's gonna work out.

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm taking a pontoon out for 4 hours for $130, and they are agreeable to letting us have it for less time for less money. I'm guessing $75 for two hours.

Well, our friends who wanted me to take their guests out flaked out, so I had to cancel that. I hate when people do that.

Here's a boat ad that's hard to resist:

condition: good
length overall (LOA): 18
propulsion type: power
1996 Bay boat . 18' in length, 7' beam
1996 Evinrude 90hp
Motors shot
Has new tires
$1,000 No text !

I'm reminded of the two happiest days for a boater . . . the day they get their boat, and the day they get rid
of their boat.

Maped

Cadet
That add says motor shot, around my area it's hard to get a good motor for under $1000 but easy to get a boat with a good motor for $1500. Also nada has a good boat pricing guide that should show you that a 96 bay boat with a good motor is only worth about $1300 and I believe it would only hold 6-7 people with gear.

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here's a boat ad that's hard to resist:

condition: good
length overall (LOA): 18
propulsion type: power
1996 Bay boat . 18' in length, 7' beam
1996 Evinrude 90hp
Motors shot
Has new tires
$1,000 No text !

I'm reminded of the two happiest days for a boater . . . the day they get their boat, and the day they get rid
of their boat.

That was sarcasm.

:rolleyes:

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Even Tom Neale's attempt to address my concern in BOATUS Magazine last year raised more concern, more issues that need to be dealt with, so I still have not determined what would be the best type of boat to leave in saltwater for 3 to 6 months each year.