Pontoon hard top lift assist question

ander12

Cadet
We are looking at purchasing a 24' Riviera Cruiser with a HARD TOP. Has anyone seen or created a lift assist for the hard top? We can get it up and down ok, BUT I have a hernia due to a bladder cancer operation and am looking for something to help get the top up a little easier.

THANKS!

Andy

Attachments

• photo324023.jpg
    photo324023.jpg
    603.4 KB · Views: 1

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Interesting question. Possibly them hydraulic rams like on a liftgate? I took my hardtop off as the canvass was shot, and got a bimi top.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've lived alone for years and seldom have a helper to muscle projects. As a result I've become well versed in using tools to make my life easier. ... I assume your top moves forward and up as it is raised. If so I'd consider either a block and tackle with at least four pulleys, or a come-a-long with a ratcheting handle. In either case you should mount the tool at the front of the boat as high as you can. If you have a block and tackle with 4:1 advantage, you can pull forward and up on the top with 120 pounds of force while pulling on your end of the rope with only 30 pounds. If even that is too much, consider a 12v winch to pull the rope.

BTW, the hardest part will be getting the top to begin upwards. After its about halfway up it will get much easier to move and you may not need the tool to help.

ahicks

Captain
I like Tommy's idea, but if you were thinking really fancy, the lift gate gas spring assist plan not bad either.

Hate that lifting/lowering process here as well. My solution, even though the boat does see snow, is to leave it up!

BTW, true hard tops have no fabric.

ander12

Cadet
THANKS GUYS!! The one we are looking at is a true Aluminum Hard Top. We should have it next weekend and am looking at the hydraulic lift cylinders and how we will place them. I have also thought about making a leverage pole that will attach to the top and stow away under the top when down. We live 40 miles from the lake so transporting it is why we need to be able to make it easier to do. LOVE the forum and the help it provides!

Andy