Poontoon logs pitting

Has anyone had any success using gluvit epoxy waterproof sealer in aluminium poontoon logs I bought this logs for a fair price for my boat but didn't realize that they were pitting and accordingly to the research the log has suffered a electrolysis that caused the pittings. Can this be fixable with the sealer?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Howdy.

Gluvit isn't the right product for pitted logs unless you plan on painting them. UV will destroy Gluvit.

Your picture didn't make the trip, so it's hard to make a recommendation.

here are few pictures of the logs can this repair by either using Gluvit waterprooof or can I cut the affected area and patch it with a new one

Attachments

• photo323694.jpg
    photo323694.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • photo323695.jpg
    photo323695.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • photo323696.jpg
    photo323696.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 1

ahicks

Captain
I think welding in new sections might be cost prohibitive when compared to new pontoons.

At this point, with the pontoons not yet put into service, I doubt I would try to save them. If I were going to try, anything I did would be done after applying an epoxy based alum primer (enough for this project won't be cheap). For a cheap temp. fix, a bed liner type materiel might work.

A lot of this call might depend on if this boat is going to be trailered, if it's going to be in the water on a seasonal basis, or if it's going in and staying in. Fresh water vs. salt or "brackish", etc.

Thanks for yall responses but the boat will be use on sumer there after I'm gonna sold the boat the boat originally is bought at corpat action all the boat is together except for the pontoon logs, on the original boat they were done and I got this one to replace the damage ones. I just want to fix this ones under budget I want to use the boat on summer only and after sell it. But I would like to do the repair enough reasonable on budget for the buyer later, to last him maybe few years after purchasing.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have to disclose all you know on the damage to the logs you currently are aware of. you should also pressure test the logs (2-3 psi) I doubt any hold pressure.