Pontoon set up for fishing ?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have an older brother who has MS and is having an increasingly difficult time using his current fishing rig which is a 17 ft Twin V power cat with a center console. This is only going no to get worse as his MS progresses, so my father and I were thinking of getting a pontoon and trying to set it up to be an accessible fishing rig so he can still get on the water and fish.

I was wondering if:

1. anyone on here has set up their pontoon for fishing and could comment on or post pictures of a layout with fishing in mind vs typical pontoon seating.

2. If anyone has set up a pontoon for accessibility and wheelchair friendly layout and would share the same.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

ahicks

Captain
Nice thing about a pontoon is the floor is flat from front to rear. Yes, there are fishing specific floor plans available. They usually feature a lower fence in the front and a couple of swivel seats. Thinking one of those could be removed pretty easily and replaced with something that would lock a wheel chair in place.

Problem I see is getting him on and off the boat. If in a tidal area, a lot of the boat ramp docks are floating, but not all of them. Thinking something like that would make things much easier.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
There's a guy in town here, in a wheelchair. He takes his pontoon out pretty regular, by himself. If the lake wasn't a solid sheet of ice, I'd go there and get some pics of his setup. We also have 40+ inches of snow already, with 5+ predicted for tonight. I think his toon is under wraps and buried right now.
Googled a link if this helps.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Whe...pCFkQ_AUoAnoECA4QBA&biw=1234&bih=657&dpr=1.75

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Guys thanks and thanks for the links. Had seen some of these in my searches, was thinking a ramp to dock to get aboard. Luckily have a dock on a lake with relatively consistent water levels.

Will definetly be buying something used, was looking at an older one with minimal seats (bolt on fishing highbacks) as a relatively clean slate.

Had a concern on how electric trolling motors work on pontoons? Assume if it has enough thrust it will work

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My first thought is get a pontoon and remove the furniture and make what you want

My bud's pontoon is great for fishing...... and cruising.....and grilling.......and drinking...... and golfing...... and installing the lake association buoys

he has a rear wooden bench that also stores the batteries, life vests, fishing rods and fuel tanks
there is a rear swim ladder that folds down
he has the console and a single pedestal seat. the rest is open and gets configured as needed.
any other "furniture" comes when you grab the folding chairs, coolers, etc.
if you go on a booze cruise, you bring coolers, booze and chairs
if you go on a grilling cruiser, you bring the grill
if you go fishing, you bring bait and maybe extra rods
if you go swimming, you bring towels
if you go diving, you bring tanks
if you go golfing, bring the tanks to get the balls back

it is the most used pontoon boat I know of in Door County averaging about 400 hours a year now (slowing down from 600 as he is now 60 and traveling more). the pontoon gets pulled just before the ice fully takes the lake and is the first in the water the days just after ice-out.

ahicks

Captain
Had pontoons just like that for many many years Scott. And like you say, it was the most frequently used boat in the neighborhood. For anyone pondering what type of plastic chair, plastic Adirondack chairs have the lowest center of gravity and were the only ones that held up to wakes from passing boats without breaking a leg off or tipping over. They also stack easily when you need to get them out of the way. Our boat was taken out nearly every day too. Went in the water when the ice melted, and was pulled when the ice formed.

I remember one year I left it in 1 day too long as it was unable to break the ice to get to the boat landing. I had to use a neighbors boat to break a channel. Or the time I pulled it in a sleet storm. Soaked to the skin, thought I was going to get pneumonia for sure.

With the boat kept at a dock on a lake, I'm sure there's a not too difficult solution for easy wheel chair access. I assumed the boat was going to be trailered for some reason. -Al

Scott Danforth

Staff member
folding canvas camp chairs are what my bud Robert uses.

not many waves on the 960 acre lake he lives on, however when the boat is dropped into the Bay of Green Bay, it can get rough.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the input, was along the lines of what I was thinking.

Another question - what is typical more height starting point for a pontoon. One pontoon I’m considering doesn’t have a engine currently and thinking of swapping engine off my brothers current boat since it’s a essentially new 4 stroke

Scott Danforth

Staff member
depends on 'toon log size and the transom.

ahicks

Captain
Not sure I understand your question "what is typical more height starting point for a pontoon"?

Weight can be a big factor when it comes to 'toons. Especially older ones that are typically equipped with smaller diameter toons. I LOVE a 4 stroke 'toon, but when it comes to anything over about 50hp, they can really squat the back of a toon even if it's rated for more power. Conventional 2 tube pontoons, even the latest with the bigger 25"+ pontoons, rarely use anything bigger than 115 Yammi and Mercs, or 90hp Hondas. All of those are already pushing 400lbs. Anything bigger is pretty much tri toon country.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Not sure I understand your question "what is typical more height starting point for a pontoon"?

Typically you see motor set up discussions based off motor anti ventilation plate height and some part of the hull

since Im looking at a pontoon that doesn’t have a engine was wondering where a good baseline engine height starting point might be. Assume there would be a process of running it and observing motor height

ahicks

Captain
Motor height, got it. Was struggling with "more height".
20" shaft length is pretty much standard on a conventional 'toon, as well as most tri-toons. Thinking though, that I have seen 25" specs on a one of those.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Motor height, got it. Was struggling with "more height".
20" shaft length is pretty much standard on a conventional 'toon, as well as most tri-toons. Thinking though, that I have seen 25" specs on a one of those.

Ahh I didn’t catch that typo thanks