Transom floods

sdbeans

Cadet
ihave a 1979 crest width a 50 hphonda. When cruising at higher speeds the transom fills completely with water. The transom is aluminum except for where the motor mounts. That is 2” thick wood. Is the transom filling with water normal seems like a lot of extra weight while under load

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
They are usually not sealed at the bottom and they will fill up when stopped and drain when under way.

sdbeans

Cadet
Wood goes all the way down. No gap at bottom. Fills underway. Drained at stop

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This picture shows a typical engine pod. If you look closely you'll see the opening below the transom. As I understand it, the pod is not there for flotation. It is to control the flow of water off the logs so the propeller gets clean water. So IMHO it would be appropriate to have drain holes at the bottom of the transom as long as the strength of the transom is not compromised.
Pod.jpg

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Yep, sounds like someone replaced the transom without knowing what they were doing or paying attention to the drainage.

sdbeans

Cadet
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I just winterized but will do that in the spring. I appreciate the help.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Make sure it stays drained in the winter. If it wills up with water/snow, a couple of freeze thaw cycles may pull apart some seems in quick order

sdbeans

Cadet
Wow that is great advice. I am taking care of it now. I’m in WV mountains. Freeze is an issue. Thanks for the advice

sdbeans

Cadet
This all makes so much sense now the motor felt like it was slipping and I’m pretty sure I spun a prop at the end of the season. All that extra weight???..?