I'm Buying A New Pontoon Boat And Have Questions

Maceman

Recruit
Question to the community. I'm buying a Tri-toon soon, and comparing two boats by two manufacturers. Bennington tri-toon comes with sealed strakes (front and back) on the center tube, and the Manitou boat is sealed in front, but open in the back. Boat will be used in salt water on the Gulf of Mexico. The Bennington dealer is making a big deal about barnacles getting inside the strake on the Manitou, which (in his opinion) can grow and break the strake away from the pontoon. I'm thinking he's being heavy handed in his presentation, but looking for comments on whether there's a problem with lifting strakes that are open at the back to drain water, and just how much concern I should have about marine growth INSIDE the strake. I'm having the bottom of the tubes painted to retard marine growth, and the boat will be in the water about 7 months a year, and stored the other 5 out of the water. Thoughts?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Maceman

Welcome aboard and here is your thread. It's better to start a new thread than to hijack an older and inactive thread with an off-topic post.

Gemstone1

Cadet
I cannot address your barnacle question, but will suggest ensuring the center tube is full size, not 3/4 length as my Starcraft is. More tube = more flotation = more horsepower.

Regards
Gemstone1

Maceman

Recruit
Thanks so much. Your answer regarding 3/4 length center tubes is VERY helpful, as the Bennington comes with that configuration, and I'm not sold on it...

ahicks

Captain
Not that I'm in a position to buy anything like that, but I agree. I would want full length tubes (with strakes) as well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
dont worry about growth in the strakes..... go boating

Groo

Seaman
Why would the barnacles grow where there is no water flow save for when you accelerate?

What would they eat?