1997 Marine/Mercury Tracker Pro 60 and adding a trim gauge

Chicago4200

Seaman Apprentice
We have a 1995 Suntracker PB24 with a 1997 Mercury 60 HP. Is there an easy way to add a trim gauge?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Step 1: Buy the trim gauge for your engine make & model
Step 2: If the gauge does not come with a trim sender you need to buy one for your particular engine.
Step 3: Mount the gauge in an empty hole at the helm.
Step 4: Install the trim sender on the engine
Step 5: Connect and run the trim sender wires to the gauge at the helm
Step 6: Connect the "L" (internal light) terminal on the gauge to the"L" terminal on any other gauge.
Step 7: Connect the "I" (ignition/+12V) terminal on the gauge to the "I" terminal on any other gauge
Step 8: Connect the ground terminal on the gauge to the ground terminal on any other gauge
Step 9: Turn the key to the RUN (not START) position. The gauge should register something .
Step 10: Trim the engine straight down and adjust the trim sender for a full down reading.
That's as simple (or easy) as it gets. If this is outside your comfort zone, either forget the gauge or pay someone to have it done. In my view trim indicators are useless unless you cannot see the engine from the helm. The seat of your pants is the best indication of proper trim. And just so you know, there is no perfect setting for all load conditions. Every additional person will likely mean a different trim setting is needed for optimum performance. If you have a tach, fuel gauge, water pressure/temperature gauges great! Trim? Decorative!

Chicago4200

Seaman Apprentice
I want to thank you for your detailed response. The wiring I'm am very comfortable with, but finding the correct trim sensor is where I lack the knowledge. Does mercury have a universal trim sensor that mounts on their engine mounts? Or, are their trim sensors specific to each motor? The reason I'm asking is that I installed an all-in-one digital gauge that reads MPH via GPS, RPMs, Fuel, PSI, Voltage, and engine temp. I have all of them working too! My helm originally came with an RMP, Voltage, and PSI, so I have two fill in the two holes where the voltage and PSI gauges were. So I thought that it would be nice to have a trim gauge (for decorative purposes of course).

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
The directions that came with that gauge provide no guidance regarding the senders that will work with it?

Chicago4200

Seaman Apprentice
I do not have a trim gauge. I want to add one, but finding the correct trim sensor for my 1997 Mercury Tracker 60 is where I lack the knowledge. Can you recommend a sensor that will fit my engine mount?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Trim senders are indeed specific to the engine. I am not aware of any "universal" senders. Senders from some manufacturers work opposite from those from other manufacturers. You need to go to Mercury Dealers to get what you need. Senders are not like spark plugs or other generic parts where on size fits all.

ahicks

Captain
I do not have a trim gauge. I want to add one, but finding the correct trim sensor for my 1997 Mercury Tracker 60 is where I lack the knowledge. Can you recommend a sensor that will fit my engine mount?

So, I'm lost. Why are you bringing up this "all in one" gauge if it doesn't include trim?

Have you gone to an online parts manual (there's one here at iboats) and looked up the OEM part number for the Merc/Tracker 60 motor?

If that's a struggle, post the model number for the engine and I'll do that for you.

Chicago4200

Seaman Apprentice
I'm not sure why you're lost. I brought up the all-in-one because it monitors everything but the trim. My helm originally came with three gauges RMP, Voltage, and PSI. I do not need those two gauges since the ALL-IN-ONE includes voltage and PSI. So I figured I could replace one of those two with a trim gauge. The other hole I've filled in with a compass. I explain everything in my reply to Slivertip. It's the 4th comment, but I'll copy and paste in here. My serial number is 0G532487
Thanks!!!!

I want to thank you for your detailed response. The wiring I'm am very comfortable with, but finding the correct trim sensor is where I lack the knowledge. Does mercury have a universal trim sensor that mounts on their engine mounts? Or, are their trim sensors specific to each motor? The reason I'm asking is that I installed an all-in-one digital gauge that reads MPH via GPS, RPMs, Fuel, PSI, Voltage, and engine temp. I have all of them working too! My helm originally came with an RMP, Voltage, and PSI, so I have to fill in the two holes where the voltage and PSI gauges were. So I thought that it would be nice to have a trim gauge (for decorative purposes of course).

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
It's similar to asking a a question regarding your engine, and telling us it's a green boat. Why would anyone care what color the boat is when considering an engine problem?

The offer to look up the info for your trim sending unit stands, if one exists, and - IF - you'll supply the model number of your engine. -Al

Chicago4200

Seaman Apprentice
HUH???? Everything from the question I've asked to every reply has to do with me wanting to install a trim gauge because I installed an all-in-one gauge that monitors everything except the trim. It's the reason for me wanting to install a trim gauge. I stated that I lack the knowledge regarding the sensor needed. IT'S THAT SIMPLE. I could tell by your first response that YOU DID NOT read the previous post because you asked and I quote "The directions that came with that gauge provide no guidance regarding the senders that will work with it?" If you had read the previous post, you would have known that I do not have a trim gauge. Also, my engine model and serial numbers are included in the post. Therefore, I don't need your bull$h!t responses to a simple question because you somehow feel superior with your knowledge (or lack thereof). So if you're still lost or If this is still a struggle for you to understand. I could get some crayons and paper and draw a diagram for you if that would help. Maybe then you might get what asking. I DO NOT need your help or your offer.

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
Is that the long way around of saying you don't have the engine's model number?

Chicago4200

Seaman Apprentice
It's me telling you that you can't read. You are better off not replying to post because after looking at some of your replies; you are embarrassing yourself. Let me know where to send that diagram. You'll get it! I used crayons and stickers!!! There's even a smiley face!!!

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
Figure out the difference between a serial number and a model number Mr. think you're so smart, then look it up yourself. You're so smart I figure I'd just be wasting your time doing it for you.