Minimum HP Needed for 29' Pontoon

I am considering pulling the failed I/O from my 29' pontoon and replacing with an outboard. My question is how much HP would I need in order to maneuver around a dock should there be some wind to deal with? I am not concerned about going fast, it is a party barge. I just want to be able to control the boat in a tight area. I am thinking a trolling motor or similar device in the front would help guide the nose around.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
I have a new 20 ft Toon with 115 Merc on it.... I also put a 2.5 hp Merc kicker on it. the 115 will pull skiers and tubes with ease and the 2.5 moves me at 4mph at WOT on local small lakes where HP is restricted.. if all you want is a slow easy cruise. 9.9 will do you fine... or 20 hp.... the 9.9 will move your boat very well....

ahicks

Captain
I/O 'toons are generally a pain in the butt to work on, so I can understand why you might to do what you are considering.

I would go 40-50hp. That's enough power to keep you out of trouble for the most part. They're easy to work on, inexpensive to buy and service, and they last pretty much forever. If you can possibly swing it, a 4 stroke motor is an absolute dream on a 'toon. Smooth, QUIET, with excellent fuel economy. Few people I've met have tried one and regretted it - especially on 'toons.

Just a thought, but most of the lower power motors (less than 25-30hp) are not set up for electric start or even remote control (from the helm/console). What it cost to convert one should be figured in the cost when comparing the cost of something like that to cost of a 40-50hp. Maybe not that far off?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
MPC,
I find the Mercury Marine prop selector website to be a useful tool. I plugged in your parameters with a new 4-stroke 40 HP outboard with Command Thrust gears. It predicted a top speed of 13.4 MPH. That would give you the benefits of a 4-stroke and possibly the remote control you'll want. You can use the website to test other options.

matt167

Captain
I/O 'toons are generally a pain in the butt to work on, so I can understand why you might to do what you are considering.

I would go 40-50hp. That's enough power to keep you out of trouble for the most part. They're easy to work on, inexpensive to buy and service, and they last pretty much forever. If you can possibly swing it, a 4 stroke motor is an absolute dream on a 'toon. Smooth, QUIET, with excellent fuel economy. Few people I've met have tried one and regretted it - especially on 'toons.

Just a thought, but most of the lower power motors (less than 25-30hp) are not set up for electric start or even remote control (from the helm/console). What it cost to convert one should be figured in the cost when comparing the cost of something like that to cost of a 40-50hp. Maybe not that far off?

A lot actually were remote. Pontoons and smaller bass boats/ fish and ski boats used them. It's not hard to find one, especially the Evinrude/ Johnsons.

Groo

Seaman
I went from a 30hp outboard to a 50hp large prop outboard on my 22' toon, and I am still shocked how much difference there is in handling.

It really is a night and day difference.

My new outboard runs a 14" prop. Get one of that style.