Pontoon leaning forward

IanMcD

Recruit
Hello - I have a 22’ 2002 SunTracker PartyBarge. I purchased 4yrs ago and have been using since. Since the tail end of last season I noticed the pontoon is leaning forward (front rides low in the water).

I had had the boat pulled and repaired (ie drained any water in the pontoons, pressurized and welded any weak spots). Unfortunately this did not help...

Under power I am able to fix a little with trim, but still an issue when anyone sits towards the front, especially if there are waves (at times small amounts of water will come in the front).

Any additional suggestions welcomed... thanks, Ian

ahicks

Captain
Sounds to me like you need to consider moving some "stuff" you currently have stored in the front of the boat, to the rear of the boat. Basically, a weight distribution problem.

IanMcD

Recruit
Thanks for the reply and thoughts... currently we only have life jackets under the couches in the front.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If the boat sits nose low with all the passengers and stowed equipment (e.g., anchor, cooler, fishing gear, etc.) removed, then something is amiss. The engine should make it sit slightly stern low. If it does sit nose low empty, then I'd suspect something like water soaked foam in the logs. I DO NOT KNOW if you boat even has foam insulatioin, but something has to account for the bow being low. .... If the boat looks right unloaded, then ahicks has nailed it. It's simply a matter of weight distribution.

One more thought: As this is an older boat, it is possible someone has moved the furniture farther forward than when it came from the manufacturer. That could also affect the weight distribution.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
One more thought. Just to be sure, know that when you trim the propeller up, it pushes the back of the boat down and the nose up. If you trim the propeller down, it will push the nose down.

IanMcD

Recruit
Thanks for all the replies... one additional question, are the actual pontoons general divided into individual sections? I’m going to bring the boat to a local RV/Boat center, have them relook it over... there has to be water (or soaked foam as mentioned). The boat was fine the 1st three seasons, so I know it can/should be able to be returned to normal stance.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't know what is common practice, but here's what SunTracker advertises today. Note the reference to multichambered pontoon logs. Website

IanMcD

Recruit
Quick update - I spoke with the manufacturer and they confirmed the toons have multiple dividers (baffles?), which almost completely separate them into individual sections. Will check again this week if there is water stuck towards the front sections... I suspect this has to be the issue. Will need to drill holes on the bottom of the sections with water, drain them and weld shut. Thanks again for the input and suggestions. Ian

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You need to find out how the water got in and fix that too.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Quick update - I spoke with the manufacturer and they confirmed the toons have multiple dividers (baffles?), which almost completely separate them into individual sections. Will check again this week if there is water stuck towards the front sections... I suspect this has to be the issue. Will need to drill holes on the bottom of the sections with water, drain them and weld shut. Thanks again for the input and suggestions. Ian

No you dont

Think outside the box

Pull plug at top
Drop in 1/4 tygon tubing (or aquarium tubing) with a 5/16 nut on the end. Drap over the edge of the toon log
take your air hose and your hand, put the nozzle of your air hose near the vent hole, cover with your hand, and pull the trigger
the slight increase in internal pressure pushes the water out the tube

Then fix the cracks at your m bracket and relace the vent plug

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The forward sections of each pontoon are tapered and there is lots of welding up there. Check that area carefully for cracked welds or on the bottom for areas that may be "worn through".