weight limits

rescuer

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1991 Sweetwater 18' pontoon. The person I purchased it from completely rebuilt it from floor up. Of course I just noticed it does not have a Coast Guard sticker. I am planning a day on the lake with 2 large adults , 2 normal adults and one light teenager. My experience is with 21' and I was wondering if anyone has a 18 ft sweetwater Fisherman and knows the limits. I have asked Godfry but its a week end . Trip is not til 10 July. Thanks for any help

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here is info on a NEW Sweetwater 18" pontoon: click here.
Your boat may be different (e.g., different diameter pontoons, etc.). But this would give me confidence to take it out with that load provided conditions (e.g., wind, waves, traffic, etc.) are not challenging. But I would tell the passengers where to sit and when it was safe to move about. I don't hesitate to bark orders when needed to assure the safety of people on my boat.

ahicks

Captain
Big help here would be knowing the people aboard are comfortable with the idea of getting wet. With the right crowd, baby 'toons (18 and smaller) can be treated like a beach toy. Just don't submerge the engine. They don't care for that kind of treatment at all!

Agree conditions will be a big part of this call.

NYBo

Admiral
My 18' Grumman is rated for 8 people or 1100 pounds. Yours should be similar.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Don't forget to do your math!! 1100 pounds for 8 people means there all tiny! I am not fat by any means. I run several times a week. Wear a size 34 waist pants. I am 6'2" and weigh around 185. Before I lost weight I was about 210. Most people would not call me big or fat at that weight, I was still just as active. 200 pounds is a more realistic weight per person, unless all the men are really short and thin or the women are all rail thin