2.5 merc outboard pushing a 20 foot toon?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Dont laugh....Ive got a 2.5 hp Merc Outboard and want to put that on my 20 foot new toon as a kicker... locally there are horsepower restrictions on local bodies of water near my home, my 115 on the boat is terrific for large bodies we go oin, however it would cause a lot of turmoil if I fired that up on local small lakes, just want it (2.5) to push me around on local small lakes to fish..... better than rowing. ;)... and not buying another outboard for the job.. thoughts? it should work ok right?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I tried to do some math to see how much wind it would take to overwhelm a 2.5 HP engine on a pontoon boat. The math is pretty challenging and requires a lot of assumptions that can affect the outcome, so I decided to offer this opinion instead. I think you'll be ok as long as you are not fighting a significant headwind (e.g., 10 MPH or higher). My suggestion would be to always go in the direction that will allow you to go with the wind on the way home. Otherwise you might have to declare an emergency and crank up the big engine.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
LOL..........will call you for bail money when I fire the big boy up........ slow yes. it's better than using oars.... a 55lb trolling motor will push a 20 foot toon along... the 2.5 merc is more than double that... and the battery dont die :cool:.

ahicks

Captain
On a calm with no wind, no current, no waves, not even a ripple day, somebody blowing bubbles through a soda straw could move a 'toon!

The issue with a tiny kicker is/will be, how effective it will be in less than perfect conditions, and how often do you think you would see those conditions? Point being, the right answer will have a lot to do with the area/conditions you run it in.

matt167

Captain
A 2.5hp motor will have a little more capability than a trolling motor but for all purposes really, consider it a gas trolling motor. That might be enough to get you around if it's flat calm

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a buddy of mine used the 2.5hp motor on his dinghy to tow his 37' sailboat over 4 miles. if the wind is calm it will move your pontoon.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks guys,, i figured it would... conditions I will see will be primarily calm conditions, late afternoon to early evening...the lake is 122 acres... quite deep, stocked with trout.... if it gets nasty will fire up the big engine and declare an emergency

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My "declare an emergency" idea comes from years of flying. There are countless rules about what you must or must not do while flying. But all of those rules are cast aside when the safety of the aircraft and people aboard are at risk, and the pilot declares an inflight emergency. Of course the pilot must explain the reason for the emergency after the flight is safely on the ground (e.g., unexpected hazardous weather conditions). It makes sense to me to apply it to boats too.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
agreed... in my line of work...there are countless rules of engagement and the best laid plans when kicking in a door and dealing with the meth addicts on the inside go out the window... nothing ever goes as planned... i found your reference to declaring an emergency funny and enjoyed it....that said, Im sure the little 2.5 will stall or something, Im not using oars.. will require I fire up the big boy and putt in... as I will only be 107.5 hp over the acceptable limit, that said, Im sure there will be a local cottage subject glassing me closely with auto dial to the fish police. fortunately I know the judges.. :cool: will use the declare an emergency as a defense LOL

ahicks

Captain
<<<will use the declare an emergency as a defense>>>

Sounds like an excellent plan! Love it. Would love to be a fly on the wall at that hearing!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Years ago I had a 10HP Johnson on an 18 foot toon and since I was on a smaller lake had no interest in going any faster than it did. It actually performed better than expected so I think even a 5 HP would be adequate on a small body of water. 2.5 is worth a try. If it doesn't work, well -- there are choices.