19' Tritoon - 60hp? Crazy??

douglas685

Cadet
Ok so I'm going to throw something out here which is going to sound odd but keep with me here for a second.

I'm looking to buy my first pontoon boat and trying to keep the cost down to around $25,000 all-in. I want something new. I know that right away, my options are very limited but that is the budget, and it has to be new. I want something with a warranty and I don't want constant breakdowns, repairs, and headaches from typical boat ownership of something that older than a few years old. Luckily, I'm in mid-Missouri and there's a boat-maker who fits the bill perfectly: Lowe boats.

Option A: I can option out their base 21' pontoon with a 115hp Mercury and a few options (including strakes and tamer) for around $25,000. On smooth water this would seem like a no brainer. The issue is that the body of water I'd like to use the pontoon/tritoon on is Lake of the Ozarks, jokingly referred to as Lake of the Ocean by locals due to the stupidly large waves on busy weekends created by it's narrow, snaking shape and 50' yachts belting around at 35mph. The waves on weekends usually get to 3-4 feet. I've seen 6-8 feet once before on the lake during a crazy busy 4th of July back in 2006.

Now obviously I'm not planning to take a pontoon out in 6-8ft waves, but 3-4 feet waves are typical most summer weekends. This makes me concerned that option A is basically a non-starter, as I'm afraid it'll just get too bashed anytime I take it out.This leads me to this:

Option B: A 19.5' Tritoon with strakes and wave tamer (all one kit when you add the third toon) with a 60hp for around $23,000. I can go to a 115hp, but it adds almost $6,000 and puts the boat out of price range. Plus, if I went to a 115, I'd also be tempted to spend another $2,000 to go to 21' and thus I'm really at $30,000+ for that, a bargain for what you get but just too expensive.

So my main question is this.. is it stupid to put such a small 60hp engine on 19' Tritoon? According to Mercury's website I should be able to hit 28mph (uhhhhh no..) but I've heard people can get 20mph+ out of such configurations and I'd like that stability. I've heard most tritoons can plane at about 15mph? Is that true? That seems too slow to me to plane, but my experience is more with deep-v's which don't plane until their low 20's usually. If a 60hp could get on a plane (with maybe a 4-blade prop?) I'd think 20mph+ would be possible. Also, regarding option A, how tough would 3-4' waves be on a regular dual-toon with a bigger motor instead? Thoughts?

TLDR: $25,000 base pontoon with 115hp vs $23,000 slightly-fancier tritoon with 60hp (command thrust) on pretty rough water, wanting to hit at least 20mph. Thanks guys!

ahicks

Captain
Do your plans include pulling anything? How big are the 'toons on the pontoon w/115?

Honestly, I have no fascination with tri toons. Personally, I would likely go with the 'toon and bigger motor, but that's just me.

douglas685

Cadet
I think their 25-inchers. It's a Lowe Ultra 200 Cruise loaded out. Price is right around $25,000 (before rigging, etc.) with the 115hp.The Lowe SS210 (same length, next step up in trim) can break 30mph with the 115hp CT and two toons. The smaller tritoon would be the Lowe SS190 with 60hp CT. No plans to tow anything. I would option either boat with a 4-blade prop for maximum hole-shot and lift underway, as well as better control riding the waves

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does the dealer have “demo” boats you can try out?

If not, it may be worth spending a few hundred and renting a pontoon for an afternoon as close to the configuration you’re looking at as you can find——that may help you decide which way to go.

douglas685

Cadet
Thanks for the comments thus far guys! Another question, obviously if I had a 19' Tritoon with 60hp, to maintain 20mph (if even possible) in waves, I'd need to run WOT with 6,000rpm on the prop. Does anyone have experience with how well Mercury's 60hp holds up running regular WOT operation? Probably would be running WOT at least half the time, with possible 30+ minute runs at WOT. I don't mind extra oil changes and whatnot, but just wanting to make sure I don't blow out my engine after just 3-5 years.

ahicks

Captain
I mess with the Honda's that size quite a bit as a hobby. While I believe they would hold up fine at 6k, they're sounding pretty busy at those rpms. I've found on both pontoon and fishing boats, that they sound a lot better, and will make nearly as much power/speed, while turning in the area 5000-5500. Noteworthy is the fact that props that will turn up 6k will offer better acceleration - enough where you will notice. That's not to say the 5000-5500 rpm props turn the rig into a total dog. If you aren't trying to pull anything, the difference would be no big deal. That's one man's opinion though,

Following your thinking though. Long term, I think the 115 might be able to supply the power you are after/need, on a more reliable basis. AND, have a little extra available if/when you need it. -Al

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Do other folks pontoon in those waves? I take care of a ton of pontoons. Those kind of waves would play heck on the M brackets over time. I think you would end up with lots of leaks and weld Bill's. Ever been on a toon when you take a wave like that? Not fun at all.

60 hp on a tritoon is a waste of money in my opinion. The point of the tritoon is more power...I service several with 250 and a few with 300 and 350's not to mention the I/O's with big blocks. That's when they come to life.

douglas685

Cadet
Yeah that was my main question. I'm not concerned about getting a bit wet on a 21' pontoon, but yeah 3-4' waves are pretty typical on weekends. 1-3' are more normal on summer weekdays in the main channel. There's just so many big 30-50' boats out there it really gets the water moving. A couple waves over the bow on a pontoon, while getting passengers a bit soggy, aren't too big of a deal, but I'm concerned about damage to the structure over a long period of time, hence the thought about going to a tritoon.

In fairness, Lowe does provide a standard lifetime warranty on the deck-structure-and-below, so any structural damage would hopefully not be anything more serious than some time off the water for covered repairs.

douglas685

Cadet
Well, might have found my answer. I found a video, a Lowe 22' Tritoon with 60hp. It actually moves pretty well, looks like low 20's in the video with some passengers and the bimini top up and open. If it was moving 22mph on a 22-footer, the math suggests close to 25mph on a 19 footer. Not blazing mind you, but not exactly barge-like speed neither. If the comparison is 30mph 21' dual-toon vs 25mph 19' tritoon (which is also the SS model and is also much nicer than the "Ultra" series), I think the nicer and slightly cheaper tritoon would be my preference. I think the prop I would go with (according to Mercury's tool) is the Spitfire
8M8026570, which Mercury believes will top out at 28mph (seriously unlikely but maybe 25mph after-all surprisingly) at 5850 RPM.

Feel free to check out the video and see what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooCJ_iMZr4s

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pontoons do not simply take waves over the bow. When a wave comes over the bow the pontoon keeps diving until all forward thrust and momentum stop. Find some videos on the tube of pontoons doing a nose dive. Stuffing the bow at 20 mph would be bad news for boat and passengers.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Hey, another LOTO boater! From my limited experience on that lake, I would go as big as possible, and wouldn't even consider a 2 log boat if you're planning on using it on weekends. My first experience on that lake was on a 25' Tritoon with strakes and a 150. We couldn't go faster than 15 mph most of the day without getting the snot beaten out of us. I know you are pretty set on new, but I would consider used, as that would open up a lot bigger boats, which imo, is needed if you want to be comfortable in that washing machine of a lake.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
interesting. a 21 foot toon with a 115...$25K???... hmmm, that engine is $10K alone... I know, i bought a new starcraft 20 ft with 115 Merc., was more than $25K... trailer was another $3500..... I agree, dont get a 60,, get more power, u will enjoy it if you tow with it... that boat will hit 30mph with a 115.... on a toon, that's moving good

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2017 Lowe SS210 tritoon w/ strakes and wavetamer with a 115 Merc CT ProXS..I've owned it two years and have been out in rougher water with 3-4' waves on occasion. I just got my boat back from the Lowe factory for water in the center toon, when they fixed the cracked welds on the rear bracket of the log where the water got in they also added reinforcement to that area.....so in my opinion, I probably wouldn't want to run one in 3-4' waves on a regular basis.

Groo

Seaman
I'd think log diameter would be much more important than the number of logs.'
you want to keep the deck above the waves.

2 vs 3 toons; 2 should ride better, like a catamaran.

a deck boat might be a better option than a pontoon on a real rough lake.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
At least the front 3rd of a tritoon rides on top of the water, a 2 log pontoon rides in the water (unless it has big lifting strakes).. Tritoons ride like you're floating on air and are much less likely to take a wave over the deck.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Tritoons ride higher and offer less drag than regular pontoons. I'd expect a similarly equipped tritoon to out perform my pontoon any day.
There are drawbacks to having a center log with a larger diameter than the outside logs, especially in turns.
The Honda 60 on a pontoon suits my river cruising style. Any tube towing is with small children or us old farts, so slow and easy is best. If I wanted anything more than that, I'd definitely look to the tritoon with 115 and maybe even go 24' long, too.