Pontoon Water in Center Log

Docview

Recruit
I have a 2011 SHP Manitou Encore with a Yamaha 250 HP engine. I did all the maintenance on the engine myself, oil change, greased Zerk fittings, etc and never payed attention to a round white screw cap behind the engine in the center log until this weekend when we pulled into the slip after a weekend of and found it floating behind then engine which allowed water into the center log. We put it back but of course now there's water in the center log. What is the purpose of this cap? Does this lead to the entire toon or is it just a compartment in the back? I assume we are going to have to pump out the water which I think I can do while it's still in the slip without pulling it out. We screwed it on as tight as possible but any ideas why it would loosen up? See picture below. I can't find anything about this cap. I understand some pontoons have drain plugs but I don't believe mine does. At least I don't recall seeing any when cleaning them before storage.

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo314815.jpg
    photo314815.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Good question, while I'm not familiar with that type of log, I'd pump it out, and get a look inside there to see if it runs all the way forward. You might need an inspection camera to see fwd, but it's doable. Can't tell you why the deck plate is on there, unless it's for the purpose of checking for water? regardless, I'd also remove the screws attaching it and pull it out, clean it up and seal the outer edges well as preventive maintenance.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
That inspection port usually gives you access to the bilge pump. You may have a switch labeled bilge, sometimes there is a different term for the same thing. Princecraft calls them something else. Many times on the tri-toons I see there is an extra set of wires to the battery or battery switch labeled bilge pump if it's an auto-only pump. They also tend to put the bilge pump switch apart from the rest of the switches...I find them near the throttle sometimes for some odd reason. Either way, i have yet to see a factory installed inspection port and no bilge pump.