New Pontoon Purchase - advice on anchor

bradsimpson301

Recruit
I'm purchasing a new Veranda 25' tritoon with a Yamaha 250hp outboard. We boat on the Three Rivers of Pittsburgh, PA and also several local lakes. We are looking for recommendations on anchors that will keep the boat stable in a river current. Thanks in advance!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

you pick the anchor by type of bottom, the depth you are working in and the weight of the boat.

what type of depth and what type of bottom?

MRS

Commander
I have a 20ft. pontoon and got the box anchor use it in havasu and works great. Plus use on locale lake that can get real windy then have a little trouble holding but should probably not be out there any how. A little expensive but the best I have used so far no heavy chain to hook up and have to pull in.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 22' toon and use a water spike and a digger. Not at the same time. They will both hold the boat in fair current with up to 200' of rope. I am on the Mississippi, the minnesota and the st.croix in mn. You need to be smart about where you try to anchor and find a spot in slower water and if its windy you may need another anchor off the back or the wind will push you upstream and can work your main anchor loose.