Suntracker Bass Buggy steering cable

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got an '89 Bass Buggy that's getting difficult to steer. It has a Morse rotary steering system on it.
A buddy gave me a hydraulic steering system for my other project, so that frees up the Morse system from that boat for my pontoon.
Tried to replace the system today only to find out there's no possible way to connect the cable to the motor without removing the motor from the transom. I guess it's time to replace that weak transom while I'm at it.
Just my kinda luck, one easy project turns into several major ones.

ahicks

Captain
You'll feel better about it when done and going into the summer season - knowing you aren't going to be looking at a week or 2 of downtime doing it in prime time!

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You'll feel better about it when done and going into the summer season - knowing you aren't going to be looking at a week or 2 of downtime doing it in prime time!

Yep. It had a slight amount of play when I bought it 6 years ago, but when I pulled it out of the water today for it's annual cleaning and to replace the cable I noticed quite a bit more give to the wood and a crack in the aluminum at the bottom.
This toon is our daily transportation it the summer, so it's got to be right.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Pop up a few pictures so we can see what you are working with. Pictures are always welcomed and most of the time needed. And they help everyone have ideas and suggestions as well. JMHO

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pop up a few pictures so we can see what you are working with. Pictures are always welcomed and most of the time needed. And they help everyone have ideas and suggestions as well. JMHO

I'll try to get a few tomorrow, the boats at the park where I work and I'm already home for the day.

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guess I'm going to have to find a host for pics, my phone is set to the lowest quality and this forum still tells me that the file is too large on my pics.
But I did get my transom board and steering cable replaced. Ready for summer!