24’ Avalon Tri-toon engine choice ?

ChrisSmith2002

Recruit
This will be my first pontoon. I just put a deposit on a new Tritoon. I chose a 150 Mercury, wondering if I made the right engine choice; I have a few weeks to change my decision on the motor.

It has four lifting fins with 25” triple tunes.

I’ll be pulling an occasional tube and sometimes I’ll have up to 6 people onboard. Will this be a 38 mph pontoon?

Would a 175 Mercury be a better choice?

ahicks

Captain
With a boat like this, more power is always better. If there's money in the budget to support it, without cutting an important corner (power/hydraulic steering for instance), I'd say go for it. I don't think a tuber would notice the difference one motor vs. the other. Actually not real sure you're going to see a LOT of difference on the speedo one motor vs. the other.

Whatever you do, Do make sure the dealer agrees to deliver the boat to you with the correct prop on it. Not just A prop, the RIGHT prop! A prop that will allow the engine to turn up something close to max rated rpm - to assure yourself the engine is going to perform best possible.

WAY too many dealers stick a prop on a new engine that won't even come close to max performance, leaving the new owner forced to spring ANOTHER few hundred bucks for the RIGHT prop - the one the boat should have been delivered with to start with....

MRS

Commander
You cannot have to much power but you can always not have enough go with what you can afford and you will be happy.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
If you google it I am sure you can find Mercury performance bulletins for your exact boat or one very similar that will list all the pertinent numbers, speed, fuel consumption and various rpm for both engines.

I do agree with the others,"I wish I hadn't gotten the big engine" is a phrase never uttered by anyone, kinda like "that's too much bacon"

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As others have stated you will never regret getting more power. Get the most you can afford it is much cheaper to do the first time than trying to upgrade later. I have a 496 HO Mag and looking at adding a super charger this need for speed is addicting..........lol.