Spring restoration

dmontella

Recruit
I am new to pontoon boats and I am just starting to gather information and plan the restore work for a boat I got for free with a lake house. The boat is a Tahoe Alpine 2 with a 25hp Johnson that appears to work well. I have not been able to find much info on the boat and the Coast Guard plate is blank. My hope is to use it for cruising and moderate tubing and water skiing. Of course this would require a hp upgrade and so my first question is, what is the max hp rating for this boat?

Thanks for your help.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
First and foremost, did it come with proper paperwork or title? If you don't have those, it'll be a bit difficult to register.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

As grub stated, it may be a yard planter

If you do not have a capacity plate, you can use the USCG calculations to determine capacity

​​​​​​​However based on a search, 25 hp is max

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A company called Tahoe Pontoon Boats has a website. If you're lucky, they may have some info.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
If tubing or skiing is your goal, don't sink a dime into the pontoon. Sell it for whatever you can get for it and put that money towards a boat that works for you. Depending on the year, length, and condition, and market you are in, you could have a couple thousand dollars to start out with. Again, make sure you have the proper paperwork.

ahicks

Captain
I am new to pontoon boats and I am just starting to gather information and plan the restore work for a boat I got for free with a lake house. The boat is a Tahoe Alpine 2 with a 25hp Johnson that appears to work well. I have not been able to find much info on the boat and the Coast Guard plate is blank. My hope is to use it for cruising and moderate tubing and water skiing. Of course this would require a hp upgrade and so my first question is, what is the max hp rating for this boat?

Thanks for your help.

You have a great cruiser there, but as far as pulling anything, maybe not so great. When re-powering something like this, the issues start with the weight of the engines required to do you any good - maybe 90hp minimum. The weight of these engines has a tendency to totally overwhelm the flotation available on all but the biggest pontoons. The older 'toons are especially susceptible to this issue.

Properly set up, pontoons can make a great platform to ski from. That's why you see more and more of them along inland lake properties - and fewer ski boats. A complete reversal from just 20 years ago.....

Anyway, have to agree with the idea that converting a 25hp 'toon to even a half way decent ski boat may be financial suicide. You may be way further ahead picking up another boat for skiing, and tie it up on the other side of the dock.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
I'm sure you know free never is, off the top of my head you are in at least $4000 to rebuild this boat and assuming Danforth is right, and he normally is, you will not be able to do what you want with it, the engine is just too small.

So now you have say 200 hours and $4000 into a boat that isn't going to do what you want that is worth $3000 resale.

I hate to be Donny downer but it simply isn't worth it, if all you wanted to do was cruise around the lake then it would be a great project but you know going in it won't do what you want.

Sell it for what you can get and use the money towards a good used toon that is ready to go and will do what you want.