Houseboat Build - In Progress

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
So, Ive done alot more, pics to follow but right now I'm trying to pick the right futon mattress for my bed. Maybe you can help, I want something that can be pulled up to make a couch and layed down to make a bed. I don't want something that's a bear to handle but something soft and cosey that will sleep well. Here's pics of the pullout frame I made.

Attachments

• photo321656.jpg
    photo321656.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 5
  • photo321657.jpg
    photo321657.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 5

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am a big fan of memory foam mattresses and vacuum bags. While difficult to handle when fully extended, they can fold in half, get rolled up, put in a bag and suck the air out of it. They shrink to a fraction of the size and are easily stored for long layups. You can find some made for futons that will fold up into a couch as well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
about 30 years ago, I had a futon in an apartment. had a custom mattress made (something comfortable) from the local mattress manufacturing plant. the original was not comfortable to sleep on. I think I paid about $200 at the time (about 4X the cost of the oak futon to begin with) check around for a custom futon mattress.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Haven't given updates in ever so long. Here is my newly completed helm using the same wood from my original mock-up.

Attachments

• Helm1.jpg
    Helm1.jpg
    811.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Helm3.jpg
    Helm3.jpg
    814.5 KB · Views: 20
  • mock.jpg
    mock.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 20

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I like it all. I hope you'll make a tour video and post it where we can see the finished boat.

MRS

Commander
Nice! I was wondering what was going on with your project post a few more photos.