Houseboat Build - In Progress

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Walls are up. Squaring everything up, adding rafters and deck next.

Attachments

• photo307046.jpg
    photo307046.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 9

MRS

Commander
:thumb: Nice work so far, can't wait to see the final project.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Rain day. I tried to get 10' lengths of plywood but it was impossible so I staggered the 8' sheets.
I'll finish the roof in the next few days.
Squaring up the walls was fun as a level is useless on a moving boat. I used a full sheet of plywood on the front and back walls as a giant square that worked nicely to get things straight. Now the plywood is removed and replaced with diagonal braces until the fore and aft bulkheads are in place.

Attachments

• photo307167.jpg
    photo307167.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 4

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I am sure you had lots of fun levelling and squaring things up. Especlally when there were a few ripples in the water and the boat is bouncing.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
It left the dock today, first time since I brought it home. Navigated the canals without having to fend off anything and then out into Cudjoe bay for some figure 8's and back to the dock without incident. This is the biggest, bulkiest thing I ever drove and I'm glad to see I can move it without wrecking anything.

Picture update,

Attachments

• photo307639.jpg
    photo307639.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 7

ahicks

Captain
Patience is the password. It's going to be slow to respond to about anything you tell it to do. Cross winds can be a real bugger.....

Congrats on the beginning of your sea trials. May they all be as successful as this one! -Al

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
The best advice I ever got on maneuvering a boat, and I think I read it on this forum, was "neutral is your friend"

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
That and never approach anything faster than you are willing to hit it.

ahicks

Captain
Retractable bow thruster (trolling motor?) might be something to check into, something on the "want" list for future projects?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Back when I taught people to land an aircraft, the last thing a new guy would learn is to account for the winds. He'd do fine one day and couldn't get close to a safe landing the next because the wind had changed. As a result, I always look at the flagpole at my marina before docking. We have no water currents so the wind is the only thing that changes from day to day. The flag tells me the direction, variability and strength of the wind. So when I line up and aim well right of the slip from a hundred feet out, my passengers used to get nervous. Having seen it all end well many times, they don't notice any more.

I would think wind on a houseboat would be the biggest factor in maneuvering. After that, its the mass of the boat that will keep it moving well after the engine is in idle. Finally, I'd be concerned about the fact that I can't reach out with a boathook just anywhere given the walls. If I were on a houseboat with other people, I'd make sure several of them were briefed well in advance and prepared to help when docking.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Are you going to insulate?

Only a minimum, probably 3/4 inch styrofoam between rafters and studs. Since storage space will be at a premium, I will make use of those few extra inches when I build compartments.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I couldn't see too well in the first picture you posted, but do you have a jackplate or something similar installed for the outboard? Depending on how much weight you add (which I know has been discussed in regards to the pontoons), the motor may sink to far in the water. In a barge like that, it could make a huge difference in handling. Just something you may want to keep an eye on as you go.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Couple of progress pics. I'm working on finishing closing things in with the last of the plywood and prepping everything for gelcoat. I'll be glad when the gelcoat goes on, it looks ugly this way. My side windows came in and the two front windows are built and ready to install, so is the front cabin door. Yesterday I took one of the sliding glass doors out of my house (because it is the old simple aluminum type that it's hard to find now) and today fitted it into the back wall. Still plenty of bottom paint showing, I think I have 2000 lbs I can still add. Battery bank, fuel, water, waste water, solar panels, should just about use that up.

Attachments

• photo308197.jpg
    photo308197.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 7
  • photo308198.jpg
    photo308198.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 8

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
So, progressing slowly. I installed the front door. The top of the door I hope will have a 10" porthole window if I can find one reasonable. The windows on either side I made by laminating strips of wood. A 30" X 30" piece of glass will slide into both frames and the windows will have hardware so they can be tilted out from the bottom for ventilation. I started gelcoat, just brushing. I'm going for waterproof and don't expect to win any awards for best finish. Once I get the sides done I will roll the entire roof area.

Attachments

• photo308440.jpg
    photo308440.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 8

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
What is the plan for the railings?

Aluminum and, just like the rest of the boat, making it up as I go. There are so many things to work around the railings, cleats, anchor, access gate, boarding ladder, to name a few that I wont decide until I get to that stage. As a contractor I build screen rooms with aluminum railings and have some used railings I will cut to fit and use to get a feel for what I want permanently. I may incorporate a boarding ladder that doubles as a gate in the middle of the front railing but just an idea. The upper deck is where I am most reluctant because I'm not eager to mount anything that will make holes through the top deck. Also, I'm not set on railings, maybe just stainless cables and I'm open to ideas.