Anyone KNow who owns Astro Pontoon Boats?

phoenixx

Recruit
I bought an Astro 20 foot Pontoon boat about 6 months ago and it has started taking on water, naturally. I found a drain plug on the top of the middle section of the pontoon which I believe is probably the culprit and removed the plug but the hole inside is only 1/4 in diameter which would make draining the water out, a SERIOUS chore. KI would like to enlarge the hole but I do not know what the structure of the pontoon is. I was able to get a coat hanger down in there are there was some moisture on it when I got it out so I do believe it may be the one that is leaking but, like I said, I cannot tell from having such a small hole. The drain plug diameter is about .800 so there is room to enlarge the hole but I am concerned about what damage I might do to the integrity of the pontoon.

If anyone can shed some light on this IO would be most grateful. I live on a lake and there is no ramp and I do not have a trailer so the only way to get the boat out is by crane and flatbed which is pretty expensive.

Thanks!

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
According to NADA, they went out of production in 2003 so its unlikely there is anyone from Astro to answer your question. But one of the older heads here will likely have some ideas.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Use a siphon tube to drain the water. Then pressure test at 3psi. Most likely you have a craxk at the weld at the M bracket

Find a neighbor with a scissor trailer to get your 'toon out of the water

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here's another way to approach it. If you can insert a tube/fitting into the plug hole and seal around it well enough to run a 3 psi pressure test, you'll soon know whether it is leaking at the plug or somewhere else. If, as I suspect, it is leaking somewhere else, you'll have to decide between having it fixed or living with it. If you decide to have it fixed, the repair person (e.g., welder) will tell you what has to be done for him to do his thing (e.g,, take the boat out of the water and remove part of the deck). At that point you'll know the full scope of the challenge ahead and can decide on what's best for you. .... As for getting the water out, it shouldn't be necessary to run the pressure test and may be easier or unnecessary depending on what you decide to do next. Good luck.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Whatever you end up doing make sure you can plug it again, an open hole in the top of the tube is very bad.

Example, you can cut out the bottom of a 2 liter bottle, stick in water, nothing comes in, now loosen the cap and it quickly fills with water, same thing with your toon.

If it is leaking there is a hole and you are going to need a welder to fix it, have him drill a small hole in the back of each section to find out which is leaking, fill the holes then air check and fix the leak, as stated, no more than 5 psi and then use dish soap and water in a spray bottle.

I have seen people use a screw and rubber washer to seal the drain hole but don't recommend that.

The hole you found on top the tube is to air check it, not to drain it, there should be one in every section of the tube.

Most common place for cracks is the very front of the front brackets or the very rear of the rear brackets, these are stress points and prone to fail over time.