2016 Suntracker 18ft Bass Buggy fuel issue

mhale84

Recruit
Hey everyone,
I am new here so if I am asking a question that has already been answered I apologize. I recently returned from a four month deployment so my boat sat out in the hot SC summer. I took the boat out for the first time this week and it started running bad. I found that I have water in my gas tank. I took my father in laws portable tank from his boat so that I could get my boat back to the ramp. Now that I have my boat home I was ready to start siphoning out the bad gas (I think I have about 10 gallons or a little less in there). I thought I could just go through the fill housing on top of the tank to get the gas out but there seems to be something at the bottom of the tube. I can't tell if its a screen or something. It looks like I will have to remove the fill neck to get good access to the tank. Has anyone had to do this before? If so is there anything I need to know before removing that neck as far as parts that will fly apart and end up in the tank. Also, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what type of sealant to use once I re-install it to prevent water from leaking in since it does get splashed pretty good at speed. I attached a picture of the filler neck just for reference as to what I am talking about. thanks for any advice you can give.

Attachments

• photo304130.jpg
    photo304130.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would suggest to take off the fitting on the engine end of the fuel line and then get that end of the hose over the transom and below the level of the tank and into a bucket and just pum the primer bulb a few times to start the siphon. Last resort to take the tank apart.

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you do need to get into the tank, I’d suggest removing the fuel sender (the part with the wires attached behind the fill pipe) rather then the fill pipe itself.

the fuel sender has a gasket and needs no sealant.

Its easy to remove—just undo the 5 bolts and lift it out. Note that the 5 bolt holes arent evenly spaced around the circle so just mark it with a sharpie or a pencil before you remove it so it wont be trial and error to match the holes.putting it back in.

mhale84

Recruit
thanks y'all. I will try the bulb first and if it doesn't work as good as I need it to I will remove the sender. Just looking over it quickly, I thought it would be too much trouble with removing that but after looking at the filler neck that probably is the best way if I have to actually get into the tank. thanks for the advice!

ahicks

Captain
To save you a little trouble, most later model boats are equipped with an anti siphoning valve located in the gas line - which will pretty much eliminate any chance of using the fuel line to drain the tank.

mhale84

Recruit
ok so thanks for all the help and advice. After looking closer I realized that the fuel filler neck would be the easiest to remove in order to siphon out the gas. It was about 5 screws and easy to remove. I got all the gas out... but now I have one more question. The filler neck itself has a gasket and the screws have washer type gaskets. I was curious if any of you know a place online to get replacement gaskets. That area of the tank gets hit with a lot of water and I want to make sure it has a good seal. I had a hard time finding many parts like this online and I can call the dealership where I bought it but they will charge a stupid amount and it will take a week to come in. Any suggestions?