Sun Tracker Fit and Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty49

Cadet
I recently purchased a 2019 Sun Tracker Fishin Barge 20 DLX. When purchasing and at delivery we noticed wrinkles in the fence extrusion at the gates. In the excitement of a new boat we didn't really examine it closely until we had taken delivery and had it home at which point we found the problem at some point on every fence section. Some, much worse than others with some having sharp edges exposed. We have taken the boat back to the service center to remedy this and the poor installation of the changing room (one of the main features for choosing the boat). After a week we have had no news of what their remedy will be accept a phone call offering a gift card to Bass Pro. Something we feel is a bit insulting to "buy" us off. Since then "Crickets".

First I would like to ask if anyone else has had this issue and what were the results or resolution. We have researched and looked at several other boats and did not see the issue but saw it on a couple of others at the dealership where we purchased ours. My thoughts are they had a large amount of these extrusions with the issue. Too much to scrap to they used it thinking that no one would find issue with it.

We have taken the boat out several time and truly love the performance, ride and economy but we are really wanting the fence replaced as this is our final (after many boats including a 33' cruiser) and fit and finish are important to us. I know this is not the most expensive pontoon on the market but I would think Sun Tracker would want a quality product representing their name.

Let me know your thoughts and/or your experiences.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
Keep calling them and go in person if needed. They should make it right or take it back if they can't fix it. I bought a lowe john boat a while back and the i noticed when i got home and it dried off that the floor coating was bubbling up in a few places. And after a little back and forth with pictures and finally bringing it in for them to see they offered to either wait until fall and send it back to lowe to get redone or give me a $500 gift card. I chose the card since it was a $300 upgrade to begin with and i didn't have to un rig the boat to send it back. I popped The bubbles and they never got worse or showed much at all in most lightning.

Last edited by a moderator:

monty49

Cadet
They have already offered the gift card but I am more interested in a good boat with decent fit and finish. They already have the boat and today agreed to replace the fence but it's going to take 8 weeks Ridiculous. They build a boat in hours (which may be the issue) The boat really should not have left the factory in this condition. In hind sight, I should have looked the boat over closer at delivery and refused. As they say hind sight is 20/20.

We boat all year if nothing freezes but I guess not this year.

MRS

Commander
On ours the springs that hold the back seat up for storage both broke and the livewell pump that is mounted on the port side log broke off. I did fix the pump myself drilled the rivets out and put screws and washers and lock nuts. But the fencing was all good. We did order the front bimini but had to be made all paid for just waiting for it to come in then I will deal with the replacement springs. Other than that love the pontoon.

briangcc

Commander
Stay after the dealer and if need be go to the manufacturer for resolution.

After that...good luck as the fit/finish on anything sold at an outdoor chain store leaves alot to be desired when it comes to fit/finish.

monty49

Cadet
Well after sending a couple of emails and filling out another survey i have heard that the fence is completed and the Service Center is sending a truck Monday to pick them up at the factory. I was told all the issues including the changing room and fish finder should be finished week after next. I believe8 the Service Center is putting extra effort into getting these issues worked out. I will post after we pick up the boat and inspect the repairs

If all is worked out to our satisfaction I will be very pleased with both the Service Center staff and the factory.

monty49

Cadet
Well, tracker and the service center came through and in half the time as I was originally told. They completely replaced all of the fence and none of the new fence has the issue. Also added a couple of spacers to the changing room and it is now usable. I have to say the St. Charles, MO Tracker service center did a great job. Thanks to Steve, the manager who worked through the issue with Tracker corporate and sent a truck to the factory to pick up the fence. and Carl the technician who performed all the work. A first class job by all.

ahicks

Captain
Thanks for the update! Too many times people will post a note looking for a solution to some problem they're having, never to be heard from again....

MRS

Commander
Glad it all worked out for you we have the same pontoon love ours.

jkust

Rear Admiral
That's great to hear. Sun Tracker is low budget on my lake compared to what people are buying at the local marina up here but noticing a trend to cheaper brands starting to happen this last year which I expect to expand as pontoons are taking over more and more each year. Less people buying the twin 300hp's on upper echelon brand tritoons and more sneaking down to the cheaper end of the spectrum.

monty49

Cadet
We have been boating for many years and started with 12' john boat all the way up to a Larson 330 Cabrio that we purchased new with all the bells and whistles. We just recently sold that and kept our Bayliner 184SF which we also purchased new about the same time. We are both retired now and have the time to fish and found it to be hard for seniors to get around on it. That is why we decided to go with pontoon.

We did a lot of research and had several criteria. Must be set up or fishing, have at least two lounges, a changing room and be rated for at least 10 passengers. After quite of bit a looking around we felt the Sun Tracker was the best fit for our needs and budget (did I mentioned we are retired?). Now that Tracker has replaced the entire fence and taken care of a couple of other items on out list the boat stands up against most others in the class and the warranty is by far the best we found of any in that price range or even quite a bit higher. I would recommend these boats for anyone on budget and looking for features that are usually on much more expensive boats. Only time will tell how well it holds up but it seems that Tracker is more than willing to stand behind their products. It may take a little patience of which I am truly short but they do get it done!

Have not named her yet (the boat, my wife has a name) but here is a couple of pics.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Med 3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	316.7 KB ID:	10691069

Attachments

• Med 1.jpg
    Med 1.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 0
  • Med 2.jpg
    Med 2.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Med 2.jpg
    Med 2.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Med 3.jpg
    Med 3.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Med 4.jpg
    Med 4.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

SkiSprinkle686

Seaman Apprentice
We have been boating for many years and started with 12' john boat all the way up to a Larson 330 Cabrio that we purchased new with all the bells and whistles. We just recently sold that and kept our Bayliner 184SF which we also purchased new about the same time. We are both retired now and have the time to fish and found it to be hard for seniors to get around on it. That is why we decided to go with pontoon.

We did a lot of research and had several criteria. Must be set up or fishing, have at least two lounges, a changing room and be rated for at least 10 passengers. After quite of bit a looking around we felt the Sun Tracker was the best fit for our needs and budget (did I mentioned we are retired?). Now that Tracker has replaced the entire fence and taken care of a couple of other items on out list the boat stands up against most others in the class and the warranty is by far the best we found of any in that price range or even quite a bit higher. I would recommend these boats for anyone on budget and looking for features that are usually on much more expensive boats. Only time will tell how well it holds up but it seems that Tracker is more than willing to stand behind their products. It may take a little patience of which I am truly short but they do get it done!

Have not named her yet (the boat, my wife has a name) but here is a couple of pics.

Are you still enjoying your SunTracker? We are getting ready to purchase a 2019 Party Barge 20 DLX with the Mercury 90. I am curious about the boat quality, speed and warranty. This one will have 8 year warranty on the motor, 10 year on everything bow to stern, and limited lifetime from the deck down. For our budget and the warranties that are included, it seems pretty hard to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.