Fabric softener sheets for pontoon storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipdsharkey

Recruit
I will b storing my pontoon boat in a storage rack in N.C. for the winter. It will have the playpen cover on. My question is should I use fabric softener sheets on the boat to keep animals out during storage? Does anything work better than the softener sheets? is it needed at all?

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iBoats! :welcome:

I used dryer sheets last winter (my first with the 'toon, stored on its trailer in my yard). I put the sheets in each seat compartment, the livewell, and under the helm. I also stuffed a couple in the through-deck fittings for the boarding ladder. No sign of critters.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use bounce sheets and a bar of irish spring shaved up with the pocket knife into a few paper bowls. keeps mice and spiders out.

Foristoon

Cadet
Thanks for the ideas, awesome. I used to have a critter problem, finding nests in the outside car engines once in a while. But, there's now a neighbor cat that seems to do a wonderful job of patrolling the neighborhood. Nonetheless, I will be using your ideas...

SkiSprinkle686

Seaman Apprentice
I use bounce sheets and a bar of irish spring shaved up with the pocket knife into a few paper bowls. keeps mice and spiders out.

This really keeps out spiders? We keep our pontoon stored in a wet slip at the local marina and we constantly deal with spiders. Nothing major, just the little ones that like to spin webs the size of grapefruits. I'd love to find a way to make them go away!

Status
Not open for further replies.