Weight Distribution

ahicks

Captain
As long as you're thinking along the lines that it's necessary to run 2 wires, a positive and a negative, to everything electric, you're on the right page.

It's not about smart. It's about learning new "stuff", which is one of the big reasons I'm addicted to this place. Been around boats all my life, and I STILL learn new stuff all the time!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Never use the boat as a cround conduit. The aluminum will dissilve from calvanic corrosion

Always run power and ground

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
It's not a matter of being dumb, don't put yourself down. It's just a bit of a learning curve and everyone here just wants you to get it right so you can have fun and enjoy this great hobby.
To clarify, do not run a positive cable only when you relocate your batteries. You have to run a negative also. Do not use the aluminum hull or frame as a negative conductor. Do not attach any conductors from any electrical devices to the boat itself. A separate wire from positive and separate wire from negative to each device or electrical load. Whether it be a light or your engine.
So, if you relocate your batteries, each battery will have a positive and a negative wire running to its new location.
It's not like a car, where you just run a positive and use the closest spot on the frame as a negative.
Enjoy!

Foristoon

Cadet
What kind of trolling motor did you get, a bow mount or transom mount?

It is a Motorguide that I will be tying in to the Lowrance fish finder via NMEA2k. It's technically 'bow mount' but since the toon is one big flat board, it could go both ways. I'd initially put it at the bow but it is too much in the way, either deployed or stowed. So, when all the batteries are moved from the transom forward, the Motorguide will be mounted in the back right where the ladder is (which is being removed), opposite side of where the gas tank is. It will stow and be deployed out of the traffic area, and it's a heavy SOB so it will offset the movement of the batteries enough, hopefully. So, I have a lot to do, but fortunately I have a lot of time to do it, and right.

Thanks for clearing things up, fellas. Great forum!

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I added 4 golf cart batteries amidships using a quarter of the fishing rod box just forward of the helm. My trolling motor is an Ulterra 24v #80 thrust that actually has a small footprint. It can be run in the "up" position in mild seas to remove the clutter on the foredeck. I plan to use it as main propulsion for trolling smallies. I was lucky enough to be a little heavy to port, so I took advantage of the space. I moved the rod storage forward to the bow.
I believe that I will have about 6 hours of run time as currently set up.

Attachments

• photo307160.jpg
    photo307160.jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo307161.jpg
    photo307161.jpg
    770.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo307162.jpg
    photo307162.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo307163.jpg
    photo307163.jpg