SUN TRACKER FISHIN' BARGE 20 DLX w/90 ELPT FourStroke Command Thrust

uncleslam

Cadet
I was thinking of buying a discounted leftover 2018 as my first toon (under $25k). Wondering if anyone has one like this? Want something that can do it all, mostly on small lakes 100 - 500 acres. Would I need to add a center toon to get good handling for tubing and wakeboarding? Thanks

ahicks

Captain
If I had my 'druthers on a "do it all" boat, I would have toons equipped with lifting strakes for sure, conventional 2 tube or w/center. If you think you might need a center tube, you're likely going to want to order up some extra power - to maybe 150hp. You can easily get away without it with a 90, but when you get up over 115 or so, you're going to have to figure another expensive option, which is hydraulic steering. Goin fast aint cheap!

After being converted a couple of seasons ago, I am now a dyed in the wool 4 stroke convert. That is THE way to go for pontoon boats!

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My main concern with the OP's plan is that it won't take much load to change it from a good boat to a poor one. For example, I think it would do fine for two normal size adults to take two preteens tubing. Add two more adults or swap the preteens for teens and its a different matter. ... BTW, pontoon boats don't produce much of a wake, so don't count on doing the big wave type of wake boarding.

uncleslam

Cadet
Good advice, I am willing to accept the compromises to stay in our budget under $25k (I had a 2018 20dlx w/90hp priced out with trailer for $28k with tax and title out the door, 60hp is two grand less). Going to try and see what I can find on the 1-3 year old market. I dont want to take a huge depreciation hit, so I typically buy used. But I have to start somewhere for a base, and this model seem alright for that purpose at very least.

ahicks

Captain
With water sports in mind, you'll need to be careful with your power options. Our Honda 90 on a conventional 24' boat does a nice job tubing until you get up into the bigger guys. Grand kids love it!

MRS

Commander
I just bought the same pontoon you are looking at but it is a 2019 it will work good for tubing. But I think that is all you will get out of it now if you fish it is sweet got scotty pole holders all around the rails plus a bait cutting board that fits into the scotty holder so is removable. So far still breaking in the motor and loving it.seems like it will run right around 30mph or a hair under. That is with two of us and a 92lb. dog he loves it more room for him than on the boat so it is dog approved.
You do not anything with less than the 90hp you would hate it.

MRS

Commander
Ok finally running wot got 24.5mph with bimini up and 27.6 with it down. Two adults and a 92.lb dog on board with little wind.

ahicks

Captain
That's pretty much right on the money for a good running 90 on a 'toon that's not loaded down with a bunch of weight on board.

monty49

Cadet
I have the same boat and engine. I cruise between 15 and 20 and top speed is 26.7 wot. I am happy with that but what really impresses me as i have come from an 18' f & s with a 125 Mercury Classic 2cstroke is the fuel usage I have just came from a 10 day fishing trip. Lost a couple of day due to weather otherwise was out every day. Mostly fishing but went for a cruise at the end of each day. I have not actually filled the tank for an accurate fuel check but I am still showing about a half tank. The gauge has proven to be fairly accurate. Great cruise range! Compared to the 2 stroke the 4 stroke sips fuel

ahicks

Captain
Yes, sipping the fuel for sure. We live on a lake, so our 90hp Honda is used frequently. Mostly cruising for us, and I'm thinking we only used 2 6 gal. tanks of gas this summer. When you add the fact they are difficult to hear running, THAT makes them a near perfect solution for pontoon boats at the very least.

I would advise those that are skeptical of the 4 strokes to stay away from them, for they will quickly become 4 stroke converts as well if they were exposed to them....