Trolling motor

rescuer

Seaman Apprentice
would like to add a trolling motor to my pontoon and was wondering if there is a longer shaft needed for a pontoon or any bow mount will work.?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Look on the trolling manufacturers' sites. They have calculators for that purpose. If I recall correctly, you need to measure from the surface of the water to your deck where the motor will be mounted.

RadioDave

Seaman Apprentice
Computer glitch. Its bow mounted, and swings into the water with a quick disconnect. Its ok, high winds work against it when the Bimini is up. I am rigging out a twin 45 pound motorguide, reversible and see rate throttles, but that's another story......

Foristoon

Cadet
I installed a 60" 80lb thrust 24v on my bow. When fully deployed it is about 18, 20" under the water. It would be a lot further down if I'd mounted it to the back because of how the boat tilts, but of course it has a collar stop on it to set the desired deployed depth.

I don't like it on the bow though; it is in the way when deployed, hard to walk around, and when it is stowed it is REALLY in the way sitting down on the deck. I'm planning to move it to the rear (that will be a new thread sometime).

I'm new here and new to pontoons so please take this with a grain of salt. I am sure there are great veterans here with better information. I'll be leaning on them myself if I can.

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
These toons are an extremely versatile platform with unlimited amounts of rigging possibilities. If you can think it, you can do it. There's really no wrong way. If you've added something you don't like, simply scoot it around until it works.
I too am fairly new at the Pontoon game. But I've been aboard many of them rigged for fishing. I really like the spacious deck. Being able to walk about instead of confined to one seat as in most of the fishing boats that I have owned to date.
​​​​​​