Where do you mount transducer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRS

Commander
Ok got my new pontoon boat went from boat to pontoon love it. But trying to figure out where you guys mount the transducer for the fish finder got a new hook 7 to mount up. Thanks for any replies. It is a suntracker 20ft fishing barge.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Often a mounting plate is welded to the rear of one of the logs. Most I've seen are on the starboard log.

Some examples, both factory and home-grown;

xducertoon.PNG

MRS

Commander
Thanks my starboard side does not have a bracket welded to it that is where I did want it. In the first photo that you sent is probably where I will have to mount it if the transducer cable is long enough. Or maybe on starboard side there is a bracket in the middle for the ladder might have to add a piece of straight aluminum 2in. x 1/8 18" long and mount near bottom of the log.

Attachments

• photo303092.jpg
    photo303092.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 0

MRS

Commander
Ok making a bracket for starboard side cable was not long enough to reach port side bracket. Will post when finished should work out great.

MRS

Commander
All most ready taking my time to not mess anything up.

Attachments

• photo303481.jpg
    photo303481.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1

MRS

Commander
Ran it this weekend worked great did not budge I'm happy with it. Even caught fish :joyous:.

Attachments

• photo303814.jpg
    photo303814.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 2

monty49

Cadet
I have the same pontoon. I purchased a Hook2 5 mounted on a ram mount just in front of the starboard side of the windshield. I had the dealer mount it and some how they managed to reach the bracket on the port log. The location works well but the fish finders freezes at 2.6' often and needs to be reset. The boat is at the service center for other issues as well as replacing the hook 2. With the ram mount I can swivel the head to see from the forward fishing seat. It has taken some getting used to but seems pretty handy now.

MRS

Commander
I have the Hook2 7 on a ram mount also mounted on the starboard side behind the windshield works great. Did you make sure you did not hit stop sonar cause it will stop where it is at. I did not want to run transducer cable across the logs that is why I mounted on the starboard side goes straight up the log and directly to the unit.

I actually did something a little different.. But it works great!! I was told that the Hook2 extension cable would be 2 months out and did not want to wait. I have a tritoon with lifting strakes on all 3 toons. I used the back edge of the lifting strake on the center toon and mounted the transducer here. It keeps the transducer more to the middle of the boat and hidden from any chances of someone kicking it walking around the boat or while swimming. It is tucked under the boat while traveling on the trailer and works great.. Jut another thought..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I actually did something a little different.. But it works great!! I was told that the Hook2 extension cable would be 2 months out and did not want to wait. I have a tritoon with lifting strakes on all 3 toons. I used the back edge of the lifting strake on the center toon and mounted the transducer here. It keeps the transducer more to the middle of the boat and hidden from any chances of someone kicking it walking around the boat or while swimming. It is tucked under the boat while traveling on the trailer and works great.. Jut another thought..

Keep a close eye on the strake looking for cracks. The water pressure against the transducer may crack the strake and break off.

MRS

Commander

SS, could you post a photo of it sounds like you would get a better reading with it mounted up front. Does it stay under water when your under power.

Status
Not open for further replies.