new to me Sweetwater Pontoon

rescuer

Seaman Apprentice
Just purchased a 1991 Sweetwater 19' Fisherman. It has a 4 cylinder 40 HP Mercury. Prev. owner has a tach in the dash but never hooked it up. He said there was a tach plug that plugs into the motor control at the helm. It supposedly is to hook up the tach. If there is such a cable where can I purchase one. The tach is set on 4. is that correct for this set up/ Thanks

ahicks

Captain
You've got some homework to do. Wiring diagrams regarding that tach wire coming from the engine are generally found in the owners manual. Those are easy to come by, as generally you just need to google the make and model number of your engine. If you don't already have the harness, it's not hard to splice into the existing harness once you know what color wire to look for. You need a ground wire, and the tach lead. Lights are optional.

Tach info, what number it should be on, can often be had by googling the tach's manf and looking for an owner's or installation manual in the results.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
The gray wire off the regulator rectifier goes to the tach.

rescuer

Seaman Apprentice
I cut the plug by the throttle and removed the gray, black and purple and run them to the tach. Go out tomorrow and check it out. Have it set on 12 poles if that is not accurate I will try 10. Thanks