Blue Sea System

buzzurd

Recruit
New to boating and want to install a second battery in my 2010 Sun Tracker 24' party barge.It's running a Merc 60hp ELPT 4S.Looking at the Blue Sea systems.Can I please get a recommendation on which system?Also is it critical that both batteries are identical? Thanks.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
buzzurd,
Is your intention to have one battery for the engine and another for accessories (e.g., sound system)?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Blue seas add a battery kit....with ACR if you can swing it

icwingman

Seaman
buy a perko switch there good follow hoopup instructions. both batterys should be same cca and amps or you will get drain.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
They both have to be the same chemistry. They don't need to be identical. Both flooded lead acid or both AGM.

I have the Add A Battery kit on my pontoon since its super easy to separate the house loads from the engine. The house loads only go to my bigger "RV Marine" deep discharge battery. The other battery devoted to the engine is a smaller starting battery.

You will not get drain since the two batteries are only connected together while the alternator is charging. At all other times, they are disconnected from each other.

This is the kit I bought and the one you should get:
https://www.bluesea.com/products/7649/Mini_Add-A-Battery_Kit_-_65A

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Big fan of multiple batteries, I have 3, 2 house and a starter with an VSR.

Mine is from a company called BEP but the same thing, they are a bit spendy but nice to have.

They can be a bit tricky to wire in but I am no Einstein when it comes to wiring but still got it.