Headlights

darthawk

Cadet
What are the best headlights and possible places to mount them. Using the lights to load at night

tpenfield

Staff member
Headlights are for cars. There are docking lights for use in and around marina docks. What are we loading at night?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there are legal reasons boat dont have headlights

docking lights are permitted only for docking (HUGE fine if caught navigating with them on), however then again, if your loading on a trailer, the tail-lights from the truck provide more than enough light to see what you are doing.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
t.png
This works well for me and always easy to use. Almost 100,000 iBoaters agree.

flashlight.PNG

t.png

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have pair of spreader lights on my hardtop for backing in a slip.

bigdee

Commander
I find mine to be more of a distraction than a help while docking. On the water they are totally useless....like shining a light into the sky doesn't illuminate anything. Some people use them for night fishing to attract fish.

dwco5051

Commander
On my bass boat trailer I mounted an old fog light I had laying around on to the winch post and a short pigtail to plug into my trailer connector. It is aimed down toward the trailer so it doesn't blind me when loading at night but illuminates the bunks perfectly. Also when backing the trailer it is nice to have a backup light that moves the same direction as the trailer.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
there are legal reasons boat dont have headlights

docking lights are permitted only for docking (HUGE fine if caught navigating with them on), however then again, if your loading on a trailer, the tail-lights from the truck provide more than enough light to see what you are doing.

I wish more people knew and did this. I couldn't believe the amount of dock lights that were on full time at the lake after fireworks on the 4th. Houseboat behind me had an LED light bar so bright you were blinded everything I looked back. I don't get what there looking for!! All musts must have lights on them so it's not like anything would or should be out there especially that night without lights. A simple light you flip on every so often would confirm this for them as needed.

I wish DNR would ticket for this. Plus all the LED lights that were red or blue all over boats,made it haRd to tell sometimes which way a boat was facing.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use a pair of 72w led light bars mounted to the little grab rails on the front of my pontoon. Just never use them around other boats.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Back when I had a night flight in the Air Force, we'd breathe 100% oxygen in the plane and avoid all but red lighting for 30 minutes before takeoff to maximize our night vision. We knew that if you got a hit in the eyes with white light it would ruin your night vision for 15-30 minutes. Flying in a black sky is a lot like boating on a dark body of water with little lighting from the shore. You need to avoid white lights so you can see the small red and green lights that mark other boats and navigation aids.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have installed halogen dock lights. I only used them once and then because my nav lights quit working. I figured it was better than nothing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

A.F.C. 8511

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Again. As I stated. These lights are on MY boat, for MY use, when I NEED them.
Scott I understand the regs. I also understand they are COMPLETELY legal to HAVE.
I simply offered an answer and possible solution to a fellow boaters question or need. Please dont allow your ax to grind with others use of devises to spill over on me.
I have COMPLETELY LEGAL lights attached to my boat ready and availible for my use when I NEED THEM.
Have a goodun and be safe.

bigdee

Commander
I agree they are useless and annoying and I see many boats using them. However I have never heard of anyone being stopped by Wildlife officers on my 6000 acre lake. There were many at end of 4th of July fireworks and lots of law enforcement...they could have raked in a fortune!