Repower suggestions?

Groo

Seaman
The old 28spl has been giving me problems lately, its too slow on a good day, and I get more pleasure from motoring than I do wrenching. It has a temp sensor problem, likely screwed up an impeller install (I changed because I thought it might not be a sensor problem), and I think the alternator might have taken a dump (had to charge the battery to get it going today, yet this spring it fired right up after sitting all winter).
The boat itself is a 22' old crap pile, but it seams solid enough. I am an inexperienced boater and kids do a number on everything they touch, so I think I'll stick with the old boat and just get a new outboard for it.

The river we are on has some shallow spots with a sandy bottom and some very weedy spots, not to mention a few rocks, stumps and logs.
My initial thought was a jet drive to keep from dragging prop, but I think the weeds would do a number on one, and not sure one would turn for crap shrouded between the tubes.

The boat is rated for up to 75hp. It is already maybe a touch rear heavy, so looking to keep the weight reasonable.
It does have some adjustable height transom (current motor is a 20" and I keep it near the center or lower when I can get away with it). I suspect that is the limiting factor for the HP. Adding a custom 3rd tube would be a long ways down the road if ever.

I am fairly open to outboard options at this point. Long term reliability (both in power-head and lower unit) and quietness are top things to consider.
My initial thoughts would be a F50-F70 hp Yamaha, a Tohatsu 50hp 4s, e-Tec 60hp twin, or 50-60 hp zuki. They'd all be a bit more than twice the 28spl's weight. The e-tec has me the most concerned about long term reliability and noise, but maybe the heavier duty lower unit on those would be better for the sandy bottom and log encounters. My initial research has me favoring the F70 or the e-Tec.

Think this range in power would be enough to get it up on plane? skier maybe?

I have considered one of the mud motors, but they look very heavy and weak while costing maybe 50% more? so leaning away for them. I would also be concerned about the "shelf" my pontoon has over the back. I would think some of those would be too high, and even if not, might not get enough air flow to cool properly. They would also be quite loud based on my experience with equipment using that style of engine. With all those down sides; I think I have to give them a pass.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sounds like your motor is perdect, just have it professionally serviced. Sensors and wire get are not expensive. An impellor in those older motors is not hard and straight foward. Fires up after winter and runs smooth, pay the several hundred dollars to get it right and go on with it. But if other stuff going wrong then Mabe a repower might be smart?

A 22ft pontoon with a 60hp motor, for get about planning! And unless it's a small young skier, I doubt you could get them up either. I have an older, 1997, model toon and I have a 60hp motor on mine to give you an idea why I am saying what I am. Even with a 90hp (I know it's over the recomedation) won't "plane" your pontoon. There not designed to really plane, especially an older one.

​​​​​

If your worried about weight those motors will be way heavier. I love the e tec although I do not have one. I would say keep the motor off the bottom, learn your waters and stick to the parts that are deep enough. 3 foot is enough water to move around without hitting the bottom on your toon, if it's shallower than that I would not consider trying to cross anything that shallow other than really slowly. Just go slow and learn your water.

I like Evinrude products, also like yamaha, the others you mention are not bad choices either, just resale will be far lower if you would think that would ever happen.

Groo

Seaman
That is a bunch of crap to go wrong in such a short time. Combine in the fact that pontoons don't paddle well, and I want something a bit more reliable.

The shallow spots are between the landing and my house. If I stay near my house and never cross them again, I have about 1000 feet of river. If I cross them, I have about 10 miles of river. If I have to trailer every time, I probably wouldn't bother with a repower or repair. I never had a boat before this one.

ahicks

Captain
I've seen lightly loaded 40 and 50hp powered 'toons plane, getting maybe 15 or 16 mph. Pulling a skier would be a stretch. Myself, I think paying the long dollar for a new engine, for a beater 'toon, would not be something I would encourage.

If I were going to give up on the 28, I would start beating the bush looking for used 40 or 50hp engine. Engines that have been used on pontoons and being sold, are generally high time - likely having issues, or they would not have been replaced. A 40 or 50 that's been trailered are not used near as much and can represent a much better buy. Often you can get a great deal on an entire boat because the floor or transom is rotted out. You take the motor off for your 'toon, dispose of the hull, and sell the trailer for whatever you can get for it. Have seen people do really well on deals like that.

NYBo

Admiral
Often you can get a great deal on an entire boat because the floor or transom is rotted out. You take the motor off for your 'toon, dispose of the hull, and sell the trailer for whatever you can get for it. Have seen people do really well on deals like that.

And be prepared to buy a much lower pitch prop. A prop that works well on a small runabout will be way too much for a 'toon.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've seen lightly loaded 40 and 50hp powered 'toons plane, getting maybe 15 or 16 mph. Pulling a skier would be a stretch. Myself, I think paying the long dollar for a new engine, for a beater 'toon, would not be something I would encourage.

If I were going to give up on the 28, I would start beating the bush looking for used 40 or 50hp engine. Engines that have been used on pontoons and being sold, are generally high time - likely having issues, or they would not have been replaced. A 40 or 50 that's been trailered are not used near as much and can represent a much better buy. Often you can get a great deal on an entire boat because the floor or transom is rotted out. You take the motor off for your 'toon, dispose of the hull, and sell the trailer for whatever you can get for it. Have seen people do really well on deals like that.

I second this , I forgot to say that but I also don't think I'd pay for a brand new motor for a beater or one that you have no intention of fixing up. There 30 year old motors out there that are completely reliable.

As for the OP that really is not a lot of stuff. The sensor is malfunctioning , you said you botched the impellor, that's not the fault of the motor or any indication or reliability, right? Unless I read that wrong. But I do understand if you have lost faith in that motor. But if it's running it will be worth several hundred easy! If the lower unit is tight just that part is worth it.

Groo

Seaman
I had a completely reliable 30 year old motor until this summer. I'd like one that will be reliable for the next 30 years. If I give up on the hull, I can probably get a good chunk of my investment back. If I don't just carry it over. There is a real gap in the used boat motor market locally.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Groo,
I'm with you on this one. I bought an old pontoon boat with an equally old motor. I did all the repairs myself but it was hit and miss as to whether it would run on any particular day. I found local outboard repair guys fell into two categories: expensive shops with very long waits (until the boating season was over) and expensive jacklegs who promised quick action but didn't deliver until the season was over. I bought a second old engine and rebuilt it. It was also hit and miss until an overheat warning led me to try and remove the cover of the cooling jacket. 80% of the bolts broke off. Down about $3,000 on DIY engines, I gave up and bought a new Mercury 4-cycle. It's like owning a modern car. I show up. It starts and runs. I change the oil every year and the impeller every two or three years. I wish I had done this before I wasted several summer holidays with a dead motor. I plan to keep this boat until I'm too old to use it so resale is not an issue for me. Reliability is.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
There are a lot of deals to be had on pontoons this time of year with dealers getting rid of new inventory. Lot's of used ones as well. Heck, there is a dealer in my area right now with brand new 20' Sylvans with 40hp 4 stroke mercs for $15k. Comes with a 6 year warranty. The only reason I bring that up as that you used the words "crap pile, seems strong enough" May be time for a new boat?

Groo

Seaman
That is still like $9k or more for the boat. Kids trash everything. I'll deal with faded vinyl and a few holes in the top. It would take a complete redo to make it look decent again, but nothing is busted. I wouldn't want kids ripping the vinyl of a new boat. I'd get irate. Then there is the fact that I've run it into a couple overhanging trees too (can't blame it all on the kids). This one is worth maybe $2k, but its solid. If a better toon with a decent motor came up for safe for a price not much over the motor, I'd upgrade. In the meantime, I'll hold onto this one.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
I was in the same spot with my fishing boat, I repowered with Yamaha this spring.

Loved the old engine just didn't trust it any more and when you are running miles down river at night you want to know your engine is going to get you back home.

Do your research and clench hard, they are spendy, mine is an F50 Yamaha I got at cost and I was stunned at how much it was .

Also be aware you aren't just buying the engine, you also need all the cables, throttle ,wire harness ect to make it go, just the rigging was $1000.

Also lots of newer used out there for way less.

icwingman

Seaman
From what im reading, it seems you need to invest in a depth finder with side scan, going bigger on a motor what the highest rating for your boat, check that year for hp rating and look up what they weighed back then compared to now, that will depend on how high hp you could go now. newer motors are lighter than the old 2 strokes, watch the tree limbs and the kids will get older and not destroy everything.