Pontoon hits 114MPH

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
been posted a few times

there have even been jet powered pontoons....and im not talking an impeller leg on an outboard power head.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
We hung a Mercury 400R on a boat the other day and I believe Yamaha has a 425 outboard so all he needs to do is write a check and he can break the record again.

At some point soon I believe he is going to collapse a toon or catch a breeze and flip, the tubes are hollow and a pontoon essentially is a giant wing.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I find the whole racing boat thing very scary. Depending on the boat, at speeds above 60-80 MPH you need enough down force to keep the boat from flying, but not enough to submarine the front. Either outcome seems a tragedy in the making.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
I think the only thing saving the tubes from oil canning is that they are all "center" tubes so the rear portion is super strong.

Agreed, there has to be a speed where the boat will take off, anything will fly if you give it enough power.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would like to take that out and race those guys on the river with fountin boats n such for pink slips.

ahicks

Captain
Sounds like an easy way to loose your boat....

If it didn't blow over when it hit a wake, it would easily get smoked by somebody with more money than you have!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
With his new tri toon water toy will surely fly out of this world directly to heaven or hell, who knows.

Happy Boating