New to pontoons

graduc

Seaman Apprentice
After awhile of deciding which boat or pontoon we are looking at 20ft pontoon for inter coastal waters Florida. I have just found out that they now use aluminium for floors what year did they change, would like to spend up to 12k for a first pontoon what should I be looking for we do fish and just for cruising around and needs a trailer and there are several types of them
i would like to think I can get 4 stroke motor but could be 2 stroke?
Thanks for looking
Graham

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you stay in the ICW and watch the weather, a pontoon would do. very few companies use aluminum for floors. most still use wood

ahicks

Captain
Harris I think, may be using plastic. I remember seeng somebody using aluminum. Was it Tracker?

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
I personalty would not use an aluminum pontoon boat in salt water.....people do but i would not. The salt water eats aluminum....and not just the toons, all aluminum on the boat...been there done that...wont go back

icwingman

Seaman
i live in fl, i boat in the gulf all the time, salt water is fine on a pontoon, i trailer my boat and wash it down when im done,its a year old and still looks brand new, i wouldnt buy one and leave it at a dock all the time, but they are all over where i live docked in back yards, havent seen a bad one yet.