Led lights down side of pontoon

mike2587

Seaman Apprentice
Hello!

I'm considering adding some waterproof light strips underneath my deck on my pontoon boat on the left and the right side of it. I have a few questions.

1.) Has anyone on here done that and what are your general feelings/thoughts/issues?

2.) Do you have any suggestions or lights that you've used that would be good for this? That would last, perhaps could be used with some sort of remote or app that I can control?

3.) Would it be best to add these lights to a secondary battery that I can connect my radio, red/green and white lights to or will it not draw a ton off of my main starting battery? I've considered adding some strip lights under my seats as well just for some additional ambiance within the cabin area as well.

Thanks,
Mike

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
LED lights are pretty easy on power.

Your bigger problem is going to be what is drawn to the lights. Choose your color(s) wisely ;)

mike2587

Seaman Apprentice
Hi there,

Thanks for the response! I'm trying to find the best decent ones I can find that aren't overly expensive. This is merely just for fun and for some ambiance, not something that's a dire need for my boat :)

What do you mean by what is drawn to the lights? I was considering a changing strip that can be a solid color or any pattern you choose. I saw a video of an install that didn't look overly complicated.

Thanks,
Mike

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also depending on your state running any colors other than green or red on correct sides "could" get you in hot water

TWRA specifically spells out any light combo that confuses the intentions of the boat is in violation (something like that) also for us the lights for NAV red/green and white have to meet USCG aproval 33 CFR 183.810 and meets ABYC A-16 or equivalent and other stuff

they used to let you do about anything as long as not stupid :blue:

They have been busy busting people, ask me how I know

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
being on the lake this weekend for fireworks I could not believe all the lights people had on their boats, blue white, down the sides etc. Many LED lights down the side were so bright and over powering I could not even see their red or green lights till you looked hard. I don't see how all this is allowed by coast boating law, at night but I guess if there so many lights you should realize there is something there and steer clear of that obsicle anyway?

ernest_t_bass

Recruit
These are cool, I've had mine for 4 yrs. with no problem, keep in mind the ones with white background strip put out more light which I like better, for inside, I use the ones at Walmart with covers over the light, usually 6" to 12". I use motorcycle battery and it last for days. They are remote with many color combo. Look them up on tube.. Note: it seems the bugs stay outside by the light, at least in my case, it's like a wall they don't cross.

$10 to $16
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Strip-...wer-Full-Kit/222637004027?hash=item33d63314fb