Lifting strakes

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a pair of newer25" logs to replace my pitted, cracked and previously epoxeyd 21" logs. The new logs have strakes on one side of the log. My question is should I put them towards the inside or the outside? The strakes will probably not work as intended because I am running a 60hp motor on what will be a 22' toon with a 22' deck so in what position are they less likely to have a negative effect on thungs?

ahicks

Captain
I can't think of any negative effects they would have underway. Just the same, I would put them on the outside - assuming they aren't going to interfere with anything - like your trailer for instance - the fenders maybe?

Thought there is that someday there may be a repower done on the boat. If not by you then maybe the next owner. At that point it may act like it has a wider "wheelbase" making it a little less tippy when pushed hard - as in trying to whip the kids on the tube....

Our boat, a 24' with 90hp and 24" tubes, features a rather disconcerting lean to the outside of a hard turn. I doubt it would ever amount to anything, but disconcerting just the same. Those lifting strakes may provide enough lift under those circumstances, to eliminate or reduce that tendency noticeably. My thought anyway, FWIW.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Don't know if it is a proper chine or a splash deflector, a chine would be much bigger than deflector.

Either way I would put them to the outside of the tubes, like hicks said, spread out the lift

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
They would be more like a chine. I was wondering if on the outside they would maybe cause it to dig harder and make that disconcerting lean to the outside even worse?

ahicks

Captain
Don't know if it is a proper chine or a splash deflector, a chine would be much bigger than deflector.

Either way I would put them to the outside of the tubes, like hicks said, spread out the lift

Lift strakes would be similar to a great big chine, but are actually designed to provide lift to the hull by adding to the surface area of the bottom of the 'toons.

Re: having them on the outside where they may try to "trip" the hull in a hard corner, I suppose that's a possibility, but I don't see it happening. The extra flotation/displacement of the 25" tubes means they are solidly "on top" at speeds where tripping might be an issue. Adding the lift the strakes are providing to the equation and I struggle with the potential to trip.

All the same, you could avoid the tripping potential by mounting the tube so they are on the inside. Your boat, your call.

icwingman

Seaman
just came back from tampa boat show if there is only one put it on the inside to keep the turbelance down and the pontoon will ride higher. most were only able to be seen inside,