Question about misty harbor pontoon logs

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just picked up a pair of 22" logs off a misty harbor and I don't see a vent anywhere. Is ther supposed to be one or are they supposed to be pressurized? I am going to put them under my 87 20" wearers in case anyone is wondering .

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another question, the logs have lifting strakes on the misty they are on the inside and on most other toons they are in the outside. I would think that being in the inside would create extra turbulence for the motor but also would not dig in when turning tight. On the outside I would think I would get cleaner water to the motor but may dig in a corner? Anyone have any input on that?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
They have to have a vent somewhere, you can't weld on a closed cylinder.

Either all the chambers are vented to each other and there is a plug at the back or there is a plug on top of each chamber but there has to be a plug somewhere.

Most tubes with chines are both in and outside, inside they actually work better because the outside of the tube is not in the water in a turn.

And there is no clean water under a toon, with the wake from each tube hitting the bottom of the boat it is very turbulent under there.

Some companies run a few pounds of air in tubes, actually makes them more resistant to dents but no more than 3-4 psi.

And no, it will not help them float better, the only way to increase buoyancy is to increase the actual size of the tubes.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
They do have a plug at the rear on the bottom. The old ones have a plug and a vent on top. I just assumed they all needed some sort of vent for expansion and contraction with tempura changes? Heard internet horror story's of collapsed tubes( I'm learning) from natural vacuum.