Pontoon Ladder

SkiSprinkle686

Seaman Apprentice
Bought a pontoon last week and it needs many things, including a ladder. We want to be able to get out of the water after swimming and I can't determine what type of ladder to get. Should I get one that mounts to the front or side of the boat? If it is mounted to the front, should I get one that mounts underneath the floor?

floatfan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All depends on your current fence setup. If you have the space and access to the starboard area of the stern, that's the ideal location, because you could install a flip up style that stays there for easy access, but also flips up out of the way. The majority of bow & side mount ladders have to be removed and stowed somewhere, which takes up valuable room.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I had to choose between side and front. I ended up going for a removable side ladder that clips to the fence door for storage. Storage is not a problem, but I have drug it through the water after a swim break more than a few times. If I could fit a ladder that would automatically fold away when underway, I'd get one.

SkiSprinkle686

Seaman Apprentice
I only have port side, starboard side and front available. I have heard that trying to mount a side ladder is challenging because the toon is in the way. I don't know about a front ladder because I want to make sure it is sturdy when you're climbing up.

ahicks

Captain
Sturdy, and if I might add. not too hard on your feet! Narrow or round steps OK for kids, but adults will prefer something more substantial.

Hate storing a ladder too. Some boats though, have just the right space available where the ladder isn't always in the way when not in use.

SkiSprinkle686

Seaman Apprentice
Sturdy, and if I might add. not too hard on your feet! Narrow or round steps OK for kids, but adults will prefer something more substantial.

Hate storing a ladder too. Some boats though, have just the right space available where the ladder isn't always in the way when not in use.

Are you saying a front ladder is very sturdy and easy to climb? If so, which ladder do you recommend?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've had two side ladders. Both had legs about halfway up that were supposed to press against the log for support. They make climbing the ladder easy. A front ladder that mounts only at the deck and has little to keep it from swinging aft when being climbed wouldn't seem sturdy to me. It would have to have a very substantial mounting system to prevent that.

It's been a little while since I looked at ladders, but the front ladders seemed to fall into three categories: 1. Removable. 2 Swings forward and up to rest on top of the deck when stored. 3. Swings aft and up to store under the deck. ... The first two seem ripe for failure the first time you forget to pull it up before taking off in the boat. The last seems like it would take some hits from the occasional tall waves that hit and sometime crest the front deck. I think that's why I went with a side ladder. .... Of the side ladders, I prefer the ones that mount securely with a bracket rather than two holes drilled into the deck.

ahicks

Captain
My point was to watch what kind of steps the ladder uses when shopping. Cheap stuff will use narrow or rounded steps. Adults will be more comfortable with steps that are 4" or so.

I used a side ladder that dropped into a couple of holes in the deck (super sturdy) and used stand offs/feet to hold it off the side of the tubes. The beauty of that ladder was that it folded flat for easy(ier) storage.

On the boat we have now, that received a major rebuild a year ago, part of the remodeling was a permanently mounted folding ladder on the right rear corner of the boat - bolted to the back side of the pontoon - with a swim deck just forward. Toss up which is favored more, going with a 4 stroke engine, or the the ladder/swim deck. Both are the boat's 2 most popular features.

SkiSprinkle686

Seaman Apprentice
I like the idea of a side mount ladder with feet that rest of the side of the tubes. However, I'm not positive my door will swing open with the two holes in the floor and the black caps mounted in the floor. Guess I'll just find a way to make it work.

ahicks

Captain
Suggest using the side door easiest to view from the captain's chair. Awful easy to take off with the ladder in place given the commotion on board some times. Keeping it where you can see it will help.

If it's of any help, some doors use hinges that are screwed to the hand rails. Those could be raised if necessary, to clear a bracket. Welded hinges wouldn't be able to be moved, but you could install 1/2"-5/8" shims under the hand rails like a lot of the later model boats use in a pinch!

Thinking about it, not real sure I'd want too much of a bracket. Bare feet and stubbed toes come to mind....

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I bought the same one NYBo described. Other than forgetting it from time to time, I've been very happy with it. ... BTW, the brackets that secure the ladder are virtually flat with the deck and pose no problem for bare feet.

SkiSprinkle686

Seaman Apprentice

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My previous comment was incorrect. The ladder I use looks just like the one NYBo posted except it mounts differently to the deck. The one NYBo suggested uses the round plastic cups to receive the two arms of the ladder. That's what I used to have. The plastic cups stick up about 1/4" and are rounded so they pose no threat to bare feet. But, my ladder would regularly have one arm pop up, requiring the swimmer to struggle to reposition the ladder into the cup before it could be used. The ladder I now use is the RecPro AL-B4. It has button like tabs on the end of each arm. They slip and lock into metal brackets that are permanently mounted to the deck. They are also about 1/4" high with rounded edges. This is what the brackets look like.
31g0ov1lmPL.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Mount one on the bottom, midship, trapdoor, enter and exit without anyone seeing your naked behind :D

ahicks

Captain
The time and trouble to install a permanent mount rear ladder, if you have a place to mount one, are something you'll not regret.

SkiSprinkle686

Seaman Apprentice
I was able to purchase a used 5 step ladder from someone local. Bought the mounting cups online and will be installing everything on my starboard side gate.