Veranda V22R Pontoon Boat Owners!!

squam18

Recruit
I have a 2016 Veranda Tritoon 22' 150 Yamaha I purchased last year as a leftover and cannot get past 30mph! yet dealership told me 150 would give me at least 35 and over for speed. I wanted a 200 hp but they talked me out of it.
It cavitates after reaching 30 then speed drops. Tried everything from chging the Props, raising and lowering the Motor and also checking for water in the Toons. per the Veranda troubleshooting dept.

Any thoughts what I can try next? or has anyone had this issue with the boat? My thoughts are the boat needs a 200 hp motor that they talked me out of??

ahicks

Captain
I would be focused on the cavitation issue. You aren't going anywhere with that. Fix that and THEN see where you end up.

Not knowing any more than I do about all the specifics involved, just running on what you are saying, I'm wondering about your prop. Not just the size, but also the number of blades and the shape.

Pic shot from the side, that makes it easy to see the engine height and style prop might help.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When I ran the data you provided through the Mercury prop selector program, it indicated the optimum prop has a pitch of about 15 and that would give you a top speed of about 27 MPH at 5800 RPM. So, I have an observation and a question. First, it is entirely possible the salesman lied to you about the top speed. I wouldn't let his words drive your expectations.

My question is, did any of the previous configurations result in the engine stabilizing near max RPM without cavitation? If so, that is likely your top speed and optimum configuration regardless of what the salesman said.

suneshop

Seaman
My 24' Crest tritoon prop would ventilate (250hp mercury optimax pro xs 17" pitch Enertia ) could only run fully trimmed down trimming up just a small amount would cause it to ventilate.Tried lowering motor to bottom holes with no success.We ended up adding a 5" extension to the motor set it up 2 holes now we can trim up bringing up the front of the boat up and no more ventilation.top speed 46 mph 5850 wot .

squam18

Recruit
how did you add 5" extension to the motor? Someone suggested that the shaft was not long enough for my 27" toons which sits higher. So they lowered the motor 2 notches and still cavitates at a different RPM and the boat went 2-3 mph slower.

squam18

Recruit
Thanks Mike, Very frustrated since I paid a lot of money for this boat and not getting any response or help
from Veranda and not enjoying the boat. I will try your idea and hoping it works!

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Squam18,
Are you saying you have never seen the engine reach near max RPM without cavitation?

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mine is a custom built (homemade) 23' triton with lifting strakes on all three toons with a mid 90's Johnson 150 HP. It will run in the upper 30's mph but I've never seen 40. I have a 6" jack plate that's probably set up similar to what's been mentioned and, I installed one of the lower unit extensions from Bay as mentioned to make it a long shaft motor. Then raised it slightly with the jack plate to get the right motor height. If you are as low as you can go and it's still ventilating, then that's about it without an extension.***

You didn't mention if the toons have lifting strakes. If not, you can probably pick up some speed by fixing the ventilation problem (I think it's ventilation rather than cavitation in your case), but I doubt you will see mid to upper 30's without strakes. Based on my experience with building this boat with at least 5 different configurations of motors, toons and strakes, I don't think putting a larger motor on it will help much without strakes. I'm guessing you don't have strakes. A pontoon "hits the wall" at a point if you can't get it on top of the water and more HP just plows harder and is not very productive.

*** I also tried several props (which would make it 7 or 8 configurations) and the one I found the best for my boat is a big ear "off shore" 4 blade prop from Power Tech. It really helped with the ventilation problem I was having but didn't fix it all the way without the Bay lower unit extension. The extension and a 4 blade prop will run you $1,200 - 1,500 if you can install it yourself, and I'm certain you can find a motor height that won't ventilate but without strakes I wouldn't count on mid 30's mph.

As mentioned, please list the rpm's it's running and the WOT rpm's on the engine rating. We can be much more helpful with that info. Normally they post these topics in the prop section but personally I'd rather see it here since it's on a pontoon.

Hope some of this helps,
Mark

suneshop

Seaman
In hindsight I wish I would have installed the jack plate ! As far as the extension the dealer did the install and paid for the installation while I paid for the extension.. I thought that was a fair compromise