New Carpet and Upholstery

SkiSprinkle686

Seaman Apprentice
Looking at buying a use pontoon and it needs some work. Motor is good and floor seems to be solid. However, the carpet and seats are rough. What's a ballpark figure to repair carpet and seats on the boat? I was hoping around 2K.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 0

bigdee

Commander
new furniture will be 2k at minimum. Carpet around $400 if you buy from Lowes and do it yourself.

ahicks

Captain
Myself, I don't think there's much of a chance. Your estimate is off by at least 1/2, maybe 2/3 - assuming you are going to be using quality materials that will last for a while.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Rather than take advice from us, you can call around to get an estimate for reupholstery in your area, and you can look up the cost of the outdoor carpet used on boats. ... Replacing the carpet yourself is not rocket science but it is a lot of work and may reveal other items that need attention (i.e., money). You'll also need space and tolerant neighbors during the project. Keep in mind that you'll likely need to remove everything from the deck to replace the carpet.

bigdee

Commander
Rather than take advice from us, you can call around to get an estimate for reupholstery in your area, and you can look up the cost of the outdoor carpet used on boats. ... Replacing the carpet yourself is not rocket science but it is a lot of work and may reveal other items that need attention (i.e., money). You'll also need space and tolerant neighbors during the project. Keep in mind that you'll likely need to remove everything from the deck to replace the carpet.

Carpet is easy and fairly inexpensive if you buy from home improvement box store. The only issue is keeping the deck dry for at least a week to let glue cure. I done mine in 2008 with indoor/outdoor carpet that was on sale for $300 and it still looks good. If your seats are on wood boxes/frames it will be cheaper to just replace them with plastic bases......no more rot.

NYBo

Admiral
You may be able to find used furniture on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc. Not a high probability, but certainly worth a look.

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class
if you are doing the work, low end carpet will be around $300. Remember to buy the right glue. You will need around 2 gallons for a 24' boat. That's about $60 on top.

The seats will vary in pricing depending on how much rot you have in them. Marine ply is expensive. Is the foam still good? Foam is very expensive. If all you need is to have the seats recovered and everything else is usable, you will be looking around $600 - $700 in materials and $1500 -- $1700 in labor to have a pro recover the seats, sundeck, and console.

If the wood is rotten or the foam is shot, you are better off buying new rotomold plastic seats.

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh, and don't forget the $500 worth of additional stuff you can't possibly think of right now or stuff that you think will be fine to reuse but it's really not.

bernptl49

Cadet
Don't even waste time on carpet. The marine grade vinyl is the way to go. 2 years with it and I love it.